Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding guppies

G

grant

Ok I got my breeding cage all set up now. I got 2 pairs of guppies from my girlfriend. They are full grown adult fancy guppies but I'm gonna get them to start making love and popping out some kids. As they babbies come I will take them out and put them in another cage. Does anyone have ay suggestions for breeding my own guppies. I know a lot of people on this forum are against guppies but they are very nutritious and a very natural food for axolotls. I don't want to risk getting him sick so I ambreeding them myself. I have a cage all set up for them and they're swimming around in it now. Guppies should be easy to breed because they reproduce quickly and give birth to live young. I have bred other fish before but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

J

joan

Fish are not necessarily a natural food. Axolotls live on the bottom, and eat slow moving invertebrates, not food they have to chase.

B

brian

You're pretty much done now Grant. Just wait. I would get a few more females though, or else the males will attempt to breed with them constantly, which will stress them a lot. Ideally, you want a male:female ratio or 1:3 or better. You'll also get more babies this way.

Just be sure that guppies aren't the only thing you are feeding your axies, and that they get a varied diet.

G

grant

Yea I don't even feed him them. I feed him mainly red worms, earthworms, and once a week he gets a wax worm. I also have ordered pellets. I will feed him maybe 1 guppy a week after they start having more and more babies. When I get more I might feed him 2 a week I'll just have to see. I just want him to be okay with eating them so if I ever go on vacation I can leave him with a few guppies and he'll be fine. Plus he will be more inclined to hunt for food than just wait for my hand. I have fed him guppies once before (they were bred by a friend) and I put two in there and I thought there was no way he could catch them but as soon as they swam by him they were in his mouth and gone lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1