Guppies???????

natalie14

Reaction score
Country
England
I have been thinking of trying Leroy on Guppies!
I also have been looking on the nett as I understand from this site you need to quarantine them first & then breed them but I am reading mixed views if there Tropical or cold water fish.

Does anyone els use Guppies if so what set up do you use?
How well do you Axie’s take to the hunt?
Is there any does & don’ts I should be aware of before starting something like this?

Thanks

N
J

Hi Natalie!

I have guppies right in the tank with my axolotl. Guppies tolerate the temperature that the axolotl likes. The more colorful guppies are more sensitive to things like temperature and especially water quality than the "plain" ones. My axolotl has been staring longingly at the guppies for about a week and a half now (that's how long I've had them together) but hasn't figured out how to catch them yet. Guppies take 20-40 days to give birth, so I'm ok if Axel needs more time. You can also search the internet for "raising guppies" or "breeding guppies" and you'll find lots of information.

-Eva

I had guppies with my last axie and no real problems, when he died I just left them in the tank and they went mad breeding, I've just got 2 new axies and when I put them in the guppies immediately started nipping at their gills (strangley only the gills of the leucistic not the wild-type!) so we immediately took the guppies out. I wonder whether it's because the axies were brought into the guppies tank rather than the guppies coming after, Hmmm not sure

I've been searching but can't find (or remember) who told me, but she said to watch out for the guppies because if the axolotl has an injury of any kind, the guppies will find the injury and nip and nip and nip...

My axolotl is not a baby/juvenile, though, he is quite the adult, and when the curious guppies first swam down to inspect him, he tried to eat them (hasn't managed it yet, though, as I wrote). Now they keep their distance from his head. (They do like to swarm behind him, though, the little teases.)

I also have red platys in the tank with him. So far everyone is happy. But again, it's only been about a week and a half of communal living.

My axolotl is not a baby/juvenile, though, he is quite the adult, and when the curious guppies first swam down to inspect him, he tried to eat them (hasn't managed it yet, though, as I wrote). Now they keep their distance from his head. (They do like to swarm behind him, though, the little teases.)

quote]

Thats probably helped.
The guppies ended up having a very brief visit to one of hubby's fish tanks!!! he has 2 oscars, 1 angel, 1 leaf fish, 1 gold acara in there, all of which are the size of dinner plates! surfice to say some of the guppies didn't even hit the surface... I know this sounds heartless, but they were intended as feeder fish and thats exactly how they ended up. :eek:

I know this sounds heartless, but they were intended as feeder fish and thats exactly how they ended up. :eek:

Well, I believe you don't come from the USA but I do, and from the South, and I figure that anything that bears more than 2 babies at a time is, well, ... food. As a matter of fact, in my hometown of New Orleans, if you go to the New Orleans zoo, you will see that there are signs with recipes hanging next to the signs describing the animals (it's a fact).

Well, I believe you don't come from the USA but I do, and from the South, and I figure that anything that bears more than 2 babies at a time is, well, ... food. As a matter of fact, in my hometown of New Orleans, if you go to the New Orleans zoo, you will see that there are signs with recipes hanging next to the signs describing the animals (it's a fact).

Thats a great philosophy, makes me feel better about the mass murder that took place last night:eek:

My eldest goes to school with triplets, perhaps I should tell her mum that, lol

My Dad just made me research a book called "How to Cook Children". He remembers it from his childhood or something (that explains a bit about my upbringing, I guess). I just reminded him not to forget that I now live in Germany. Origin of Hansel and Gretel. I mean not the witch, who wanted to cook them, but their parents, who left them in the woods to fend for themselves. (Hm, our eldest is a already a teenager and the boy at 12 is hitting puberty hard, maybe I should pay more attention to folklore...)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back