Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pacific Giant Salamander care

cellowithgills

Reaction score
I caught my first D. tenebrosus! I cleaned out some fish in the river while camping in Oregon, and came back an hour later to get some more water for some unknown eggs that I had found. As i was walking up to the river, I saw a small salamander in the water, when i went to get a closer look, I saw a much much bigger one a couple feet away. I went for the bigger one. All and all I saw about 4 ranging from 4" to the one that I grabbed at 9 1/2". I got him set up in a 29 gallon tank with 4 pumps (2, 65 gph, 2 150gph). Is there anything I should watch for? I'd like to keep him neotenic, what's the best way to keep him that way?

Last edited by a moderator:

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Cool temperatures and clean water. You should give the salamander a lot of room and lots of hides. Provide less stress elements with oxygenated water. Many things can make a newt or salamander morph. Bad water quality, stress, high temps and many other things. If you could keep the temperature lower than 65 degrees and try your best to provide positive elements. Time and dedication! Good luck!

pete

Reaction score
There isn't much information out there about the factors that regulate their metamophosis. If you found one that is so large it is probably already a fully mature neotenic. But probably the best advice is to keep it happy (well-fed, clean water, and no aggressive tank mates.) as already mentioned

otolith

Reaction score
Nice find! I agree with Pete, a 9" one is probably a neotenic adult. Keeping the water temperature stable and cold enough will probably be the most difficult thing about keeping it. They are very aggressive and active feeders, as long as the water quality is good and there are plenty of hides it should do very well.

SkinksGalore77

Reaction score
That's an awesome find! I saw a neotonic adult a couple of years ago at the columbia gorge but it wasnt that big.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!