Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is there any japanes/chnese giant salamanders in any American zoos?

C

cameron

No. I know the only and oldest known Japanese giant salamander lives in a zoo in Japan. It is the only captive one...or so I have been told.

K

kyle

The answer is yes. There are several Zoos which have them... I have a list somewhere which shows which zoo's have which cryptobranchids, how many and the sex ratio, but it'd take some digging to find, and time to list.

Just off the top of my head.
San Antonio, Atlanta, St. Louis, Detroit, Omaha, Cincinnati, Buffalo... maybe other people can fill out the list if I forgot any.

They all have either Japanese, Chinese, or Both, and quite a few other zoos have Hellbenders.

TJ

Reaction score
I posted something on this site back in October 2003 saying the following:

According to International Species Information System (ISIS), the Japanese Giant Salamander (Andrias japonicus) can be found at the following zoo locations...

Amsterdam: 1
Buffalo: 2
Cincinnati: 4
Detroit: 5
Omaha: 1
San Antonio: 5
Tokyo: 7

...while the Chinese giant salamander (Andrias davidianus) can be found at zoos in...

Barcelona: 1
Rotterdam: 5
Atlanta: 1
Cincinnati: 3
St. Louis: 2
Hong Kong: 2
Taipei: 8

Source: https://www.isis.org/

M

mark

My travel plans already include Cincinnati and Barcelona this year... looks like I'll be adding some giant sals to the list of things to see
biggrin.gif

ryan

Reaction score
Hmmmm. There all so far from me
sad.gif
maybe someday.

Tim that site (isis) is amazing!! I did a quick searcharoo on necturus and there is 11 in Baltimore!! I am going there one of these for sure!!

(Message edited by i_love_necturus on March 02, 2007)

F

foster

The National Zoo in DC has a Japanese Giant on display. The North Carolina aquarium in Wilmington had a Hellbender (in a 29 gal tank) on display a few years back.
Chip

kala83

Reaction score
I'd love to go see the ones in Tokyo espically since in a few years I am planning relocating to Japan anyway.
How cool that there are some in St.Louis too! I will have to go and check that out the next time I am at the zoo...I have no idea where that would be though. I haven't been to the St.Louis zoo in a while and they keep re doing thing there too. If I can I will take pics and post em up for you all to take a look at.

Willlis

Reaction score
Just thought I'd mention the big guy at the Omaha Zoo is about 40lbs and 44 inches long and eats great! Definetly worth seeing!

Tiger mom Tammy

Reaction score
Just finished watching the 5:00 news here in Hawaii. 4 Japanese giant salamanders just arrived from Asa Zoo in Hiroshima. The Honolulu Zoo plans to have them for public viewing before the years end.

Tiger mom Tammy

Reaction score
Nice! Great article.Thanks Xavier! : ) Been trying to upload the video I took on my phone the past two days and finally gave up : / Will post lots of pictures when I go see them!

Snakebytes4324

Reaction score
there is a thread titled "cool amphibian exhibit in shed aquarium" who claims that this exhibit has hellbender, japanese giant salamander and apparently the largest cane toad he\shes seen by far

Tiger mom Tammy

Reaction score
Update for the 4 Japanese giant salamanders in the Honolulu Zoo. Went there all happy at the beginning of Jan. I was running all over looking for them after getting the run around I was finally told they were in "clinic" in the a/c. Apparently my local news made a mistake. They won't be on for public display till the end of THIS year not last year. So all I got to see was a hanzaki banner on the wall , plus the reptile/amphibian house was closed : ( Guess my post on this thread will have to wait till December! Sorry guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!