Amphibian Pond

Cloppy

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have dug a sloping area in my backyard for a small amphibian pond, I will keep this thread updated with my progress. You cannot tell from the photos, but It has a total of about 8 inches of slope, the deepest at the center.

This is a lovely project. I am looking forward to seeing what takes advantage of your new pond. Do keep adding photo's :D

Oops, the photos did not upload with the post here are the photos:

Attachments

• CIMG1558 (1).JPG
    CIMG1558 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 341
  • CIMG1559.JPG
    CIMG1559.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 233
Interesting. Will it retain water without pond liner ?

This was just after a dug it, I have since put a heavy duty, waterproof, sunproof, tarp as a cheap liner.

The tarp is in, 2 rains have happened this is what the future breeding grounds are looking like:

Attachments

• CIMG1574.JPG
    CIMG1574.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 240
  • CIMG1575.JPG
    CIMG1575.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 216
Have you got any small branches/ twigs in there as well? And maybe some places for them to hide around the outer edges, like bark/ wood/ rocks.. I am really looking forward to seeing what turns up here, and I may be getting a little carried away with this :D

What caudates would you expect to come and use your pond, it might be a bit of fun ( for me) to make a little list here of what you might find on this post.

Also, if you make a little note of the weather conditions and dates of when you see any animals and when they breed, I would find that really interesting. And don't forget the photo's :happy:

I'll stop now as I feel maybe I'm being a tad demanding :blob:

Well, based on what is in my area, definitely American Toads, Fowler's Toads, Cope's Gray Treefrogs. Also a possibility of spring peepers, pickerel frogs and pine woods treefrogs.

Well, it is Feb 17 atm, Been raining for the last 5 days straight, and yesterday and today the temperature was 65-ish degrees, and lo and behold, take break from watching the olympics to listen to the frogs, and look what I found in the pond. First pick is a mix of spring peeper and upland chorus frog eggs, second pic is a southern leopard frog, third pic is an upland chorus frog. Will have American and Fowler's toads later in the year.:D

Attachments

• CIMG1612.JPG
    CIMG1612.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
  • CIMG1613.JPG
    CIMG1613.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
  • CIMG1614.JPG
    CIMG1614.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
Also found the first snake of the year yesterday, looking forward to many field herping posts. :)

Have developed a leak in that pond, So I have no good images, But their is 10 or so Bronze Frogs that seem to be permanent residents, and In Early July I had a Cope's Gray Treefrog pair breed and tadpoles hatched and metamorphosed in about 6 weeks. I am going to move thta pond to a different location in my backyard this winter, to a place where it will get more sunlight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back