Ambystoma c.f. mavortium egg laying

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
Here is a short video of one of my females depositing eggs. The male is still eagerly following the female. She's been laying since last night and is still going at it! Enjoy:)

That is quite interesting to see!
Is this the first time she is laying eggs or did you already raise some larvae? Do you know if the offspring will also be neotenic?

"Ambystoma c.f. mavortium" What does the c.f. mean?

How do you get around cleaning in between all the rocks, I really like the look of them, but is it hard to keep clean?

That is quite interesting to see!
Is this the first time she is laying eggs or did you already raise some larvae? Do you know if the offspring will also be neotenic?

This is the first time she's layed eggs at my house, but she's a w.c. adult, so I'd imagine she's layed in the past. I'm sure a good number will be neotenic out of the offspring with the right conditions. A few out of the group I received are morphing, but some are definitely paedomorphic (otherwise they wouldn't be laying eggs while retaining gills)

"Ambystoma c.f. mavortium" What does the c.f. mean?
To be entirely honest, I don't know exactly what it means, but it is used when people are unsure of the species (like Necturus c.f. beyeri). Another member came up with the name. Though I believe it means 'calling for now' or something to that affect. Not sure exactly what subspecies they are, but know of at least one individual that has almost entirely completed metamorphosis (it's at a friend's house, will ask for pics soon).

Very cool! Is this really rare?
Hmm, good question, I suppose that this isn't common, but like I said in the other thread, I could have just gotten them at the right time of year.

How do you get around cleaning in between all the rocks, I really like the look of them, but is it hard to keep clean?

I have an undergravel filter below those rocks and siphon out 10% of the water every week or so, along with a 20% water change 1-2 times weekly.

To be entirely honest, I don't know exactly what it means, but it is used when people are unsure of the species (like Necturus c.f. beyeri). Another member came up with the name. Though I believe it means 'calling for now' or something to that affect. Not sure exactly what subspecies they are, but know of at least one individual that has almost entirely completed metamorphosis (it's at a friend's house, will ask for pics soon).

cf. stands for Latin confer. It means derived or consult. In nomenclature cf. means similar to but not certainly identified. It means it looks like it is something but I'm not 100% certain it is.

cf. stands for Latin confer. It means derived or consult. In nomenclature cf. means similar to but not certainly identified. It means it looks like it is something but I'm not 100% certain it is.

Thanks for clearing that up Michael.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back