Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best plants for axolotl tanks?

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
I currently have Riccia in my 15 gallon with my 3" axolotl, he loves to burrow into it and hide inside it. I have it floating at the top held in place by a large "feeder ring". I also have anubia in a small chunk of driftwood but it has been in my tank for months and hasn't grown much at all, also two of the leaves fell out of it and I don't know how to reattach them lol. I also have a few moss balls.
Anyway, what are the best plants for low light cold aquariums? Stuff that will actually grow, won't get torn apart etc. Can be floating stuff or planted stuff or anything else really.
Also if anyone has pics of their plants and how they set it up I'd love to see it.

layna

Reaction score
Some recommend plants:
  • Anubias Nana - great plant, virtually indestructible, hardy and low maintenance.
  • Anubias Isabelle - very tough, taller than the Nana.
  • Anubias Barteri - just like the Nana, but a bit bigger and with rounder leaves.
  • Java Fern - one of the toughest aquatic plants you can get - grows anywhere!
  • Java Moss - grows anywhere as well, can be made into a sort-of "carpet"
  • Lilaeopsis - this is like grass, you can make a beautiful lawn in your tank with it.
  • Eleocharis (Hairgrass) - same as with Lilaeopsis tends to be a bit taller though.
  • Pongol - this is actually Mondo Grass, so it's not a true aquatic but survives (doesn't grow, just survives) for ages submerged, not really recommended.
  • Congensis - quite striking for a centrepiece plant.
  • Riccia - Riccia generally needs a lot of light to grow properly, thus only suitable for brighter tanks.
  • Narrow Chain Sword - another grassy-type thing. Looks pretty, grows happily.
Taken from caudata axolotl sanctuary.

If you search the forum you will see loads of threads on plants for axies

some personal suggestions;
marimo moss balls
elodea (different types)
water soldier
water lettuce
duckweed

Bette

Reaction score
Any of the crypts are great. I float ludwigia in my tanks, and also pennywort which is awesome. I recently tried taking some insanely long sagittaria from my discus tank and tying with fishing line to small lava rocks...it looks so great, and the plants are doing well despite not being in soil or gravel. They are so long that the majority of the surface is is taken up by the leaves. The axies love them.

fireball99

Reaction score
I use Duckweed which is thriving in the tank. Bought a moss ball once, it lasted about 3 days before it was ripped to shreds...

TatiandBlanche

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! Blanche and Noir have been having a bit of a tiff! Is there such a thing as an axolotl calmer? LOL

I will try to buy some Anubias Nana, currently have some duckweed in the tank to help with ammonia levels. Will having the light on for the plants affect the axos? Thanks to all for the advice, I really appreciate it. Seems like someone is selling the Java Fern all rolled up as a Marimo Moss Ball (illegal in AU).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!