Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

hello from new mexico

Meadow Clark

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Meadow. I am new to the forum and the world of salamanders.
Early last spring I adopted a Tiger salamander from some boys who had grown tired of her/him and were talking about harming her. Sally was the most awesome creature I have ever had the pleasure of hanging out with. Some cultures feel that salamanders are mystical creatures , I agree.

Sally seemed to thrive under our care until late November our coldest time of winter here in New Mexico. She stopped eating, which we thought might be a natural response to the cold.

The reptile/amphibian pet store guy said “warm her up to 76 F”, and she would start eating again. She died in mid December.

From studying more about salamanders itnseems that optimum temperature for salamanders is between 59 to 86 degrees F.

We have no central heating and night temperature in the house, in our coldest months can get down to 50 degrees F. Mr. M talks about his winter house getting down to 41 degrees F where he is breeding tigers and someone else has put their tiger in the frig. Our frig is 40 degrees F.

My questions are. Is 50 degrees to cold? If they stop eating due to cold how long can they go before it becomes a worry? Seems that in nature they can go for months without eating.

We really loved Sally and would like to have another friend like her but am really concerned that our environment might not provide a safe home. I also have learned much from this forum and now have a better tool kit of possible remedies but it is too late for Sally.
Concerned and confused.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, Meadow. No, 50F is not too cold for a tiger sal. At that temp, it would not be too worrisome if they stopped eating for a month or more. Sadly, the advice from the pet shop guy was totally wrong.

If you get another one, feel free to come to this forum anytime for advice. We have people here that have kept this species alive and healthy for many years.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1