Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many axolotls in a 40gallon breeder?

Sylerwin

Reaction score
I went to the pet store today because there's a sale on aquariums.
I had the intention of buying a 20 gallon long, but naturally, saw the sale prices and couldn't resist the 40 gallon breeder tank.

It's currently cycling, but I was curious how many axolotls I could put in there?

I only have one male juvenile right now.

Thanks!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
3-4 will do great in a 40 breeder. They're fantastic size tanks; great for making lots of hides.

Axolotl4life

Reaction score
I would think 3-4. I keep 3 in a 55 gallon and I feel it is sufficient. I think 4 would start to push it though in my case unless some serious decor and hiding spots were added. My 55 is tall and wide, but not very deep(front to back), so they bump into each other a lot throughout their travels. If you can manage to build a second story/level of ground space you could push it to 4 IMO. I've found that axolotls love to climb things. I tried to make a home-made tank divider once using some screen for a screen door. I wound up with a hundred eggs or so. Ironic it was that I try to separate my axies and they wind up reunited and motivated to reproduce. But nonetheless, the climbing, my axolotls love to climb this screen material. I've lined 2 of the the 4 sides on the glass of the tank with this screen and they absolutely can't get enough of it. I want to use this screen as the ceiling/floor between the different levels there are for the axolotls to explore. So if you have the option to do something crafty like this, I highly recommend giving your axies the ability to navigate throughout their world in more ways than just left to right and front to back for their sake; but I also think you'll get more enjoyment out of it as well.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Agreed with the above- but it's a good idea to watch your axie. Some REALLY need their space (and will be quite snappy and grumpy if their personal bubble is invaded), and some will stack up on top of each other and not feel comfortable if they can't find a friend.

esn

Reaction score
Agreed with the above- but it's a good idea to watch your axie. Some REALLY need their space (and will be quite snappy and grumpy if their personal bubble is invaded), and some will stack up on top of each other and not feel comfortable if they can't find a friend.

I think this is a misinterpretation of behavior. Snapping is not territorial, it is an instinct for food. Sitting on top of each other is in no way cuddling, and is not in any other herps I've worked with. It's "I want to be in this space too, so I will."

I had 6 adults in a 40 breeder with a second level made up (which was quite popular). Lots of plants and hides, to the point that I rarely saw mine. I never had any issues with water quality or nipping. 40 breeder is my favorite sized tank for anything. Great dimensions and lots of ways to work with it to make the most of space.

wandering

Reaction score
So what are the dimensions of a 40 gallon breeder? We do litres over here so that would be around 150 litres. I have a couple of tanks at 36 inches by 15 by 15. Wondering if one at this size would work for my two.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Minniechild

Reaction score
Fair enough, Elena. To explain where my statement comes from, within my own axolotl group there are a number of distinct activity traits. Molly tends to be more snappish than my other axolotls, regardless of the presence of food, and will take herself off to the quieter corners of the tank if the stimulation of being in the main floor/ feeding area of the tank becomes too much.
On the other hand, Freddie and Goldie tend to be in close contact with others as much as possible, and are not snappy towards their tank mates at all. Then there's Trouble, who was raised to adulthood in a separate tank. He very much prefers to remain in a hide, and doesn't tend to snap when he interacts with the others.
These characteristics then impact how I would house them should I suddenly lose access to my 6ft tank and have to downgrade. I agree it is responding to an instinct, but there is a level of awareness and individuality in their response which should be considered and accommodated when deciding on housing arrangements.

esn

Reaction score
I was curious how you make a second level for a tank?

However you feel like it. It's just a platform that allows for extra "floor" space. I just threw stuff together with silicone and I had an 8 by 20 inch raised platform. I used aquarium safe plastics and mashed them together.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1