Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brine Shrimp/Daphnia

sarahnorman

Reaction score
I am looking into rearing axolotls soon and have seen on multiple sites that young axolotls eat live baby brine shrimp or daphnia. I have searched and cannot find any live feeders anywhere. Does anyone have a good seller or would I have to buy eggs and hatch them myself? Do the shrimp and daphnia need to be in salt water also? What chemicals should I use? Please send any advice you may have. Thanks!

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
You can look up how to raise brine shrimp and daphnia on this site.
I have only raised bbs, you don't need chemicals. Just salt and i had better hatch rate with salt and baking soda. You need to hatch bbs you can't get live baby brine shrimp. I have ordered baby brine shrimp egg on ebay you can find daphnia there to sometimes pretty sure daphnia come alive. I have hatched bbs in fresh water with a pinch of baking soda to. Bbs only live for about 3 days in salt water and around 1 day in freshwater. They say bbs losses nutritional value after about 24 hours. I've tried to keep bbs alive i could only keep them for about a week then they would all die off. If i remember right daphnia is freshwater but hard for some people to raise.
Check into scuds/gammarus they are freshwater and easy to raise. i have some in a half gallon vase no filter, pump or special light i dont feed or do water changes. It has java moss and a handful of sand on bottom and a few cherry chrimp. I never feed i just top of evaporated water. They all seem to reproduce and find stuff to eat in the vase. I've had this vase for about a year if it looks gross wash it out and start over with about 50 scuds.

I have raised newts from larvae i recommend 3 live foods some you will need two cultures of.
I would have bbs,scuds and white worms. If you dont have a spot that stays around 65 it will be hard to raise white worms so try micro worms very cheap and easy to raise. Micro worms should not be only food in diet from my experience they will develop slower.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!