Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worried about Japanese Firebellied Newt - Gravid?

ShauNewt

Reaction score
No way! 39 years old? Wow! I had no idea they could live that long. Isn't about 15 the norm? (20 if you were lucky?)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cuff - as I recall, your newt is a Japanese firebelly? They are known for being particularly long-lived. But it's still a miracle when one manages to live out this kind of lifespan in captivity. Good work!

manell

Reaction score
Re: My newt looks miserable

Hi everyone, My first time posting. I have read every article I can find and still don't know what is wrong with my newt "Minell". I have had her for 8 years with no problems at all. I had neglected their tank and it had a lot of snails and too much of a random plant/fungus thing that apparently came with a plant I bought, but it wasn't gross, just overgrown.

Anyway, I noticed she was bloated, all over, and immediately felt bad and cleaned the tank, boiled the rocks, scrubbed, etc. The other newt in the tank appears to be fine. Minell is so swollen all over that her eyes look like they are about to pop out of her head! It's very sad but I don't know what to do. Also, when I cleaned the tank, I added salt and tap water destresser (same as always) and put them back in, she immediately started laying eggs... Any ideas?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!