Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about worms

LeslieK

Reaction score
So do you think its okay to feed garden night crawlers to my salamanders? It just seems wasteful to buy worms when I could just pick them up out of my yard. But on the other hand I don't want to feed them anything that is not healthy.

What is your opinion?

Leslie K

Salamanderfire

Reaction score
AW: Question about worms

Hi Leslie,

I have fed my fire salamanders night crawlers from our garden for more than 30 years now and they didn't cause any problems yet.
If you (and if your garden is rather small, also your neighbours) don't use any dangerous pesticides or herbicides the night crawlers are safe.
Of course there is always the residual risk to have parasites in wild caught worms, slugs and insects. But if you buy live food, you can have the same problem, too.

In my opinion night crawlers that are collected from safe places belong to the most healthy food sources for caudata.

Only the compost worms Eisenia foetida, that contain an unpleasant smelling yellow liquid, are not well suitable as food.

Peter

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!