Planning on getting Tylotriton Shanjing

Sean90

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Sean
Looking at getting some freshly morphed Shanjing. Wondering do you put them on a terrestrial set up or do they need to be kept semi aquatic

I believe most people keep them terrestrial with a water bowl. If you are looking for a semi aquatic animal, look at the other tylo sub species.

I saw images of morphs with a larger water quantity then water then a bowl on the forum.

You sure they were shanjing? T.shanjing may not even enter the water to breed, chosing to lay in the wet margins of the water line.
Just to clarify, the other Tylototriton are not subspecies, they are full species.

Apologies lol ;)

Tylototriton verrucosus have a variant which shares an uncanny resemblance to the Shanjing. Theyare be considered semi/ fully aquatic.

May not have been Shanjing. Thinking small tank with water bowl, hide, soil, bark/cork and leaf litter

May not have been Shanjing. Thinking small tank with water bowl, hide, soil, bark/cork and leaf litter

Doesn't sound like that was Shanjing you saw to me, upload the photo and I'm sure someone will tell you which one it is? :) But the list you gave sounds like a good list to me, I would add live moss to that list also.

Will add moss to the list. Hopefully post images of the setup shortly. Thanks the tips.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348499218.712705.jpg
Set up so far.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back