3 new new species and a new subspecies of Tylototritons from China

DrWill

Reaction score
Country
China
The Tylototriton cf. kweichowensis finally had the correct name,and the most of T.asperrimus and T.wenxianensis come from the market,in fact are T.lizhenchangi.

Attachments

• 8b50383djw1dupy1hu9sfj.jpg
    8b50383djw1dupy1hu9sfj.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 2,138
I'm having trouble making out the species names; the text is really blurry.

T. lizhenchangi Sp. Nov.

T. yangi Sp. Nov.

T. pseudoverrucosus Sp. Nov.

T. verrucosus pulcherrima sub Sp. Nov.

DrWill why don't we find any literature on the web about them? Why there are no references anywhere? I find this hard to corroborate... This can be a hoax or simply missleading with no other references suporting it as a valid and substancial proof.
Will await on more 'substance' so to speak.

Cheers.

I haven't come across these yet...

But I know that Hou Mian submitted a description for T.cf.kweichowensis, which was returned pending more comparative data.

Last edited:
I've been digging. I can't find any indication that the names or descriptions of these taxa have actually been published. I can't nail anything down regarding "Images Biodiversity Expedition", can't find the separate pictures at swild.cn, the photographer website linked from swild is dead or rerouted, and I don't have access to the chinese blogging site.

I expect at least some of these are valid taxa, but the final publication may use different names. I am suspicious of the validity of the last two. They were likely all based mainly on mtDNA data, which does not necessarily establish distinct species status.

I'll continue watching for the published paper, as I look forward to being able to actually nail down and be able to identify the various Chinese salamandrids.

Many thanks to Hou Mian, who sent me the paper three hours and four minutes ago. I'll start to look at it at work and see how much I can decipher.

I would normally post this to the more appropriate taxonomy forum, but in this exact thread is better:

Hou Mian, Li Pipeng, Lu Shunqing, 2012. Morphological Research Development of Genus Tylototriton and Primary Confirmation of the Status of Four Cryptic Populations. Journal of Huangshan University 14(3):61-65.

Abstract: Genus Tylototriton has been known to cover 9 species and 1 subspecies, falling into species-groups. The species of Tylototriton verrucosus group is distributed from southern Himalaya Mountain to the Hengduan Mountains and Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau. The species of Tylototriton asperrimus group is spread to most provinces of southem and eastern China in two branches with the first branch distributed from the Qinling-Daba Mountains through the WuIing-DaIou Mountains to the Nanling Mountains and the mountains around Beibu (Tonkin) Gulf and the second branch distributed from the Qinling-Daba Mountains to the Dabie Mountains. Some primary results about the morphological differentiation and geographical variation of Tylototriton have been obtained, and three new species and a new subspecies are found and reported briefly in this paper alter an 8-year research since 2004.

Key Words: Tylototriton; morphology; cryptic population; new species; new subspecies

Tylototriton (Yaotriton) lizhenchangi Mangshan crocodile newt
Tylototriton (Tylototriton) yangi Tiannan crocodile newt
Tylototriton (Tylototriton) pseudoverrucosus Southern Sichuan crocodile newt
Tylototriton (Tylototriton) verrucosus pulcherrima Hoanglien Mountain crocodile newt

[I recommend "salamander" in place of "newt" for this genus]

Apart from the abstract and some proper nouns in Roman alphabet, the entire article is in Chinese and lacks illustrations. There is virtually no usable data if you don't read Chinese. I have experience revising English translations, but will have to get someone to translate the paper (DrWill?). I have some ideas to make the information more accessible in the west, which I am presenting to Mian. As suspected, the photos were presented on a Chinese microblog, as the journal doesn't do color photos. The only journal I could find of this name does have a website, although it seems to be two issues behind. Many Chinese universities publish one or more formal journals, which often cover everything under the sun. You can find archaeology, sociology, cosmology, mathematics, taxonomy, ecology, etc...all in the pages of a single journal. This one isn't so diverse, but it's definitely a contrast considering the present paper!
Journal of Huangshan University 1672-447X

I would really appreciate if someone would provide a pdf of this paper. It is probably in chinese and therefore requires translation. I will be grateful for any information on this paper.
Regards,
Karthik

An English draft is done, but it may take me some time to edit the translation. While I won't be able to share the file for some time, at least I can now more easily review the distinguishing features and ranges. It appears as if this paper [based on a draft translation of already-published information] follows to revision which treats T.shanjing as a synonym of T.verrucosus [with which I continue to disagree, but will be reviewing again].

IE - T.verrucosus verrucosus = typical T.shanjing AND typical T.verrucosus [theoretically - it doesn't look to me as if topotypic T.verrucosus has been compared]
T.verrucosus pulcherimma = some populations previously included in T.verrucosus and some previously included in T.shanjing

Note that this will be the authors' own official translation, once revised and published.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back