Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Housing northwestern salamanders?

frogman

Reaction score
I have a couple of newly morphed northwestern salamanders and was wondering if there was a correct way to house them. Anyone have pics?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
They can be kept identically to tiger salamanders (check out Caudata Culture for a care article for those). They are not very bold captives though, so you might have to put food into their terrarium and then leave them alone. I'm not sure you will see them that much during the day either.

frogman

Reaction score
Ok they are little piglets when it comes to worms.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
They seem more shy than other Ambystoma. Gracile reminds me of maculatum but they don't seem to want to borrow as deep. They seem to prefer to borrow shallow and prefer hides right under the surface. I drop worms and crickets with them and they all seem to disappear overnight.

The setup is just like for any other Ambystoma. Dirt substrate and places to hide.

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 3,262
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,939

frogman

Reaction score
That sounds like what I have. Good thing too. They were about 4 inches when they morphed. When will they be sexable. How big do they get.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Adults range from 6-7 inches. Males might be obvious in a couple months if you have any.

frogman

Reaction score
I wis you lived in OR otterwoman. You can't go for a walk here without seeing one.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's my fantasy to retire there. All my favorite salamanders are native to the west coast - all the tarichas & gracile. Plus the rain forest...the people...the hippie scene...

Argus654

Reaction score
I live close to seattle in washington, and my friend has a rain collecton pond in a green belt behind her house. There are THOUSANDS!!! of the little buggers in their larval state ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 inches right now. I haven't seen any long toed salamander larve yet this year, but I know they use that pond for breeding too.

TheAmphibianGuy

Reaction score
I live California and I want to get one of these so bad but I don't think ill find one and this summer I will get to go to Oregon to hike the Rough River trail, If i were to find one how would I take it back to California

rad

Reaction score
They can be kept identically to tiger salamanders (check out Caudata Culture for a care article for those). They are not very bold captives though, so you might have to put food into their terrarium and then leave them alone. I'm not sure you will see them that much during the day either.
I know this thread is quite old but I'd like to mention that my Ambystoma gracile is currently my most food responsive caudate in my collection. That may be because it is a long-term captive but just throwing in my 2-cents.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!