Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Soon-to-be axolotis owner

wdwanton

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a axolotl but I don't know how to care for them. how do I keep them happy? how do I cycled the tank? what do I feed them?I need info they look like really cute animals would really love to have one.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Read everything on Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

Also all the articles here are worth reading: Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

Cycling is very important, don't stop reading and asking questions until you understand it. Same with filters, substrate, food, water temperature, dechlorinators, tank sizes.

Anything you read but don't fully understand, you can ask questions on. But you should be able to Google for anything Axolotl related and get an answer or search this forum for old threads.

Don't get one just because you think they look cute, make sure you know how to care for it and what it will take to maintain it. Then decide if it is for you or not.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1