Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Philadelphia Zoo and false information

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Just need to vent something. I went to the Philadelphia Zoo yesterday after not having gone for 2 years. I went to the Reptile and Amphibian house and they had a few enclosures for salamanders and newts. The first was a fire salamander and there was man standing next to the enclosure acting as some sort of zoo keeper. He actually told people fire salamanders have poison in their bellies that they are able to spit up to 6 feet when threatened.
This man repeated this to multiple people checking out the salamanders. Do they let just anyone work at these places?
Also, they had an enclosure for some Kaiser newts. I was wondering if the setup they have is a proper setup and the description above them says that these newts court on land. I could be wrong since I have not been able to breed these, but to my knowledge courtship takes place in the water like most other newts. How is this sort of thing able to be published?

Attachments

• 20170730_134058.jpg
    20170730_134058.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 488
  • 20170730_134143.jpg
    20170730_134143.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 397

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The kaiseri info is wrong. Fire salamanders can shoot poison but not out of their belly. It is from glands on their backs.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Shooting poison any distance let alone 6 feet? That made me laugh.
Maybe you should write to the zoo and let them know after all we learn from each other.
I loved Philly zoo especially the giraffe.

caleb

Reaction score

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 470

Blackbun

Reaction score
Three cheers to Philly Zoo. Maybe I don't squeeze their tails hard enough!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
They need to be very threatened or stressed to shoot the poison.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!