The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 12th October 2005   #1
lindsay

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi guys i've never posted here before so be gentle i'm prolly gonna sound a bit dumb Click the image to open in full size.

Firstly, are you supposed to start the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle before you put a new axi in the tank? and how long are you supposed to let the tank sit before introducing an axi?

Secondly, is a filter and an airater (spelling?) ideal or just a filter?

Third, what's an ideal size tank for one adult?

Sorry for the long post but I need advice!

Old 12th October 2005   #2
nina

Gallery Images:
Comments:

helo im kinda new too but ive been reading a lot...

you usualy have to cycle the tank for aprox 30 days or untill the (after you put a source of ammonia) water reads:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate ?

also you dont need a filter or an "airater" but a filter will make the job easier for you and the "airater" gets more oxigen in the water for the axolotl.

the tank size if reccomended 20 gallon which is about 76 litres (a 60 cm tank is usually reccomended)

Click the image to open in full size. btw any one feel free to correct me if i have any wrong information!!!

Old 13th October 2005   #3
sharn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i *think* the nitrates supposed to be below 40ppm.
you should have a filter because it not only keeps your water nice and clean, the bacteria keep the water safe for your axie. it also increases water movement which equals more oxygen in the water. an airater is an optional. and yes a 60 x 30 x 30 cm tank is the minimum for one adult axolotl.

Tags
advice, newbie, wanting

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 0 (Set)

There are no names to display.