The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

Old 13th February 2009   #1
xMIDNIGHTx

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Tank Storage Shelving

Hi everyone!

I want to get more organized and get a shelf for my 10 gallon tanks. I have looked at some shelves but I am worried about the shelf supporting the three almost full tanks.

What kind of shelving do you use?

Walmart has a nice 4 - Tier Shelving system
that supports 350lb per shelf and is 14.0 x 36.0 x 54.0. I like how it is adjustable and the look but again worry about it holding three tanks plus some tubs on top. What do you think?

Thanks for your input!

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Tank Storage Shelving

I think most of those shelving units aren't worth the money. I bought one that had aluminum cross pieces which bent under the weight of an empty tank!

The units I use now are Gorilla Rack units. I got mine at CostCo, but if you call the company, they can tell you where you can get some. I'm not afraid to push the limits on weight on this shelf. It's very sturdy.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009   #3
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I agree with Kaysie on those costco snap together racks. I think a shelf can hold a 55 gallon tank. I set a bunch of them up and have them heavily loaded.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009   #4
xMIDNIGHTx

Nationality:
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Thanks for the suggests. I have looked to those and they look great.

Did you seal the particleboard shelves? Maybe with plexiglass or plastic, or maybe a paint sealer? I worry about these getting wet and wrapping. It seem that no matter how hard I try water finds a way to get on the table.

Thanks

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009   #5
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

I used the shelves as-is. They do get wet (I'm pretty sloppy when it comes to pouring water back in), but it's pretty high-quality stuff, and I've not had any problem. I've been using the same shelves for probably 4 or 5 years now. I've got model # GRZ 8460-5, with the double-rivet Z beams. I've had a full 55 gal on the top shelf with no problems (by top, I mean split into 2 shelf units. I'm far too short to use it as a 5 shelf rack!). It's a 5 shelf system, which you can split into 2 units (one with two shelves and one with three). I usually use the third shelf a few inches below the top shelf for storage (tongs, turkey basters, random tubing, etc). This also makes it pretty darn sturdy when there's a heavy load on the upper shelf.

They now make a laminate shelf for the racks for use in high-moisture areas (looks like model # GRZR5-3012-5imp / GRZR5-3012-5DI is the same type of rack I have, but in white, with laminate shelves). They might be worth the investment, but like I said, I've never had any problem with my shelves as-is. I try to sop up most of the mess with a towel before it soaks in too much, but they've gotten pretty wet before without a problem.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009   #6
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I am currently using the metal racks from Lowes and so far so good. I have 4 10 gallon tanks on one shelf without any incidence. I can honestly say I have come close to testing the 350lb weight limit with only slight bending, but nothing to worrisome.

Old 16th February 2009   #7
Kenneth Hovey
(hovey)

Nationality:
Rep: hovey has started on the right path

I used perforated angle iron, from Lowes, to build my shelves. 18"x60"x60". I have a full 55 gallon, a 20 gallon and 7 ten. All with filters etc. No problem with weight ,and being galvanized, I have no water issue. Not too pretty, but very sturdy, and I can un-bolt it and move it quickly.

ken

hovey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shelving, storage, tank