Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axel won't eat :(

rachellag

Reaction score
Yes the light brown mucus like material could be poo. The intestines still constantly shed cells so even an inappetant axie would always have something to pass out.

if the axie looks healthy otherwise, it is ok to transfer it back to your main tank if you can keep the tank cool. The higher temperature would stimulate appetite.

There may not be gravel impaction, so i would not be specially looking out for passed out gravel. Instead i would be focussed on if the axie is healing/regenerating well.

Did you try live blackworms or just frozen bloodworms. I find that the vast majority of axies really love live blackworms and it should be able to tempt most axies into eating some.

This story is getting worse and worse...I was having a look at him when taking out of the fridge, and to my horror noticed that the last digit on each foot seems to have disintegrated into a fluff, he also has some fluff coming from the end of his gills...bacterial?...fungal?....what am I going to do now??? How can this have happened in the fridge? His water is changed daily and there are only live bloodworms in with him.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like your axie might have a systemic mycosis. A fungal infection not only externally but possibly internally. Unlike bacteria, fungus (Saprolegnia) actually thrive better in cold water. However the benefits of fridging still outweighs not fridging.

You can commence 2x daily salt baths spaced 8 hrs apart for 7 days and then reduce to 1x salt bath daily for another week. Monitor accordingly. You might like to bring your axie to a vet for other diagnostics.

rachellag

Reaction score
Oy vey! I will start the salt baths immediately. How long does it usually take to see a noticeable change? And do you continue for more than two weeks? In the meanwhile, I'll start calling vets in Melbourne. Is this typically associated with inappetance?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The first sign of axie illness is inappetance. Axie go off food when they are stressed or ill.

Here is a list of aussie vets. Herp Vets in Australia

Your vet would also be able to give the axie a systemic injection to treat fungus infection if it found to be so. Supplementary vitamins and nutrition can also be given via an injection.

I won't recommend the salt baths to be longer than 2 weeks. In fact most of the time i only recommend 1 week total but it seems your axie is getting quite an acute presentation and requires more aggressive treatment.

rachellag

Reaction score
The first sign of axie illness is inappetance. Axie go off food when they are stressed or ill.

Here is a list of aussie vets. Herp Vets in Australia

Your vet would also be able to give the axie a systemic injection to treat fungus infection if it found to be so. Supplementary vitamins and nutrition can also be given via an injection.

I won't recommend the salt baths to be longer than 2 weeks. In fact most of the time i only recommend 1 week total but it seems your axie is getting quite an acute presentation and requires more aggressive treatment.

thanks for your advise. I will keep updating as things change (hopefully changes for the better!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1