Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Co-hab with axolotl?

knifegill

Reaction score
My buddy tossed me a larval salamander well over a year ago and told me it was a dicamptodon. I wasn't ready to care for him, but he's been in a 10g eating worms and massivore and tadpoles happily. I want to switch up my tanks out there and was wondering if I could put him and my axolotl together in a 25g tank. Are dicamptodon aggressive? They are the same size, and I'd give plenty of hiding spots. Any help is appreciated. If I get a few replies I'll try to share a photo of the guy, maybe you could even take a swing at ID if you felt like it.

knifegill

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I knew they were good at eating, hadn't considered one would try to put another of the same size into its belly! I think I will just move them both into separate, bigger tanks then.

I use deep sand beds, native aquatic mosses and plants and a sponge filter... I only change their water maybe twice a year, and I only feed them maybe once a week. Their water stays nice and cold and they only get active in the spring, breeding time. My male golden albino axolotl is ready to breed if anybody has a female around. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1