Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N.v.louisianensis - Finally some eggs again!

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
You need more oak leaves in your tank and an almond leaf will do wonders with your fungus issues.

Niels D

Reaction score
Don't know if this is a repost in this thread, but I'm really glad with this setup, though there's a lot more vegetation in it at the moment, both in the water as within the terrestrial area:
Cleaned tank for Notophthalmus - YouTube

I haven't got any problems with fungus since I'm using this setup. Instead of almond leaves I'm using Alnus cones. On land there are some beech leaves. Since this setup is doing it's job very well I'm not changing a lot. Just make sure water parameters are good and replace some of the isopods and gammarus when they get eaten. Next year I will have to make a second larger setup for a new group, maybe even a third.

Niels D

Reaction score
Totally forgot about this topic. Shortly after I traded/sold all the juveniles I almost lost all adults. At this moment I only have one adult couple. This year I've started with adding alder cones tot the water for the same reason some people add oak leaves. I have a theory that I kept my animals in water with a PH that was too high. At this moment they're still aquatic with temps around 15C and looking well fed. Since I'm feeding Daphnia, Gammarus and Asselus out of my turtle pond since march 2014 and worms out of my compost heap all my animals seem to do a lot better, especially the noto's. Hopefully I will have some eggs again this spring, because this year they're finally looking healthy again since last time I had eggs.

Thomas F

Reaction score
AW: Re: N.v.louisianensis - Finally some eggs again!

Wish you luck Niels! In total I have 6 larvaes and all died after a short time. But I'm sure i will have some eggs again... :)

Cheers,
Thomas

Niels D

Reaction score
Thanks Thomas. I've got a "couple" of species now and most of them are managable once they reach adulthood. Noto's however keep on being a challenge for me, which makes me want to give up on them sometimes. Some new eggs will really give me a boost, and I want to keep on trying to find a way to let them thrive in my care.

I'm sure you will have eggs again. Your animals always look great!

Thomas F

Reaction score
AW: Re: N.v.louisianensis - Finally some eggs again!

Thanks Niels. Please could you post a pic of your N.v.l. adults?

Sometimes I think that mine could be piaropicola as well...

Attachments

• N_v_l_6.jpg
    N_v_l_6.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Paar2.jpg
    Paar2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 293
  • Paar3.jpg
    Paar3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 271

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I just have to say since i have some n.v. Louisianensis to, i raised some larva last year. I took them out from mom and dad feed them mostly micro worms for fist month did daily water changes. Then i got some bbs, feed bbs and micro worms and it took over two months to see legs, i think it was closer to 4 months before i saw legs but i have a bad memory so dont quote me.

Mom and dad had some baby's again, I took a few out put them in my cycled cherry shrimp tank, and I've seen some legs:happy: its only been a little over a month. Im going to see if they make it in there with no dock,i just have a few floating hornwort/coons tail and some java moss close to the top.

I put 4 in there its a 2.5 gallon with about 7 adult shrimp and over a dozen baby shrimp. I only have feed the shrimp fish flakes,So i dont know what the larva eat. Some say they leave c oriental's with mom and dad. When do they start eating with mom and dad? I gues i would like to know when i should start putting some white worms in there for them?

I never see them on the bottom of the aquarium. Its almost impossible to find them, I only can find them about once a week i look every day if not twice a day. When i see them there in the java moss. It was funny i saw two of them together today almost like they where hanging out with each other.

I have no time or place for them now,so i hope they can live with the cherry shrimp for a year or two then I'll find them homes or keep them. If i keep them would it be a bad idea to put them with mom and dad. I wouldn't mix them in till they where the same size. But would it be bad if they breed with each other. The way my house is set up i only have room for a ten and 20 gallon in the living room. I plan on putting the two c orientals in the ten gallon when fully aquatic and my 2 adult pluse baby n.v.l in 20 gallon tank, if babys make it.

I would appreciate some advice when should i start feeding the baby n.v.l's?
Should i mix mom and dad with kids or find them new homes?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!