Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A Review of Marking and Individual Recognition Techniques for Amphibians and Reptiles (Ferner)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
A Review of Marking and Individual Recognition Techniques for Amphibians and Reptiles

Book is by John Ferner. The author's name alone intrigues me as it is so close to my own...:D

...was wondering if anyone has read this one and could give me some insight...

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: A Review of Marking and Individual Recognition Techniques for Amphibians and Reptiles

Well, it's only $11 on amazon* and a slim 72 pages...I vote you get it and tell us how it is!
For someone that uses Petranka as toilet reading (missing any pages? ;) ) I'd say it's a reasonable assignment.

* no reviews on the amazon site.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Re: A Review of Marking and Individual Recognition Techniques for Amphibians and Reptiles

<Laughing>

Yeah...truth is I ordered it off Amazon directly after posting. I'll have a review in a few days...truth be told I have no clue what I am getting into here though...:eek:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Well, I took the time to read a copy I got for 7 USD off of Amazon.com.

This short and sweet book covers in depth proper field techniques for identifying and recording data on caudates. It goes far beyond simple coastal groove counting and length. Foot and leg morphology, reproductive vents, brachiate gill types, it is all in there. There is a bit about eye biology and defensive toxins.

Honestly, I feel the book is a bit excessive for the amature, and probably a bit lacking for the professional. However, for someone new to the hobby, or wishing to expand their knowledge of caudates in general, I suggest this inexpensive read.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!