Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does anybody have pictures of Tylototriton daweishanensis?

Niels D

Reaction score
I would really want to see pictures of Tylototriton daweishanensis. When I got 4 animals a couple of years ago I thought all of them to be T. yangi (they were still called T.cf.kweichowensis at that time). One of them has always been smaller and had less orange colours than the others. Someone (forgot who) said it looked like daweishanensis and that it's happened before that this specie is collected together with yangi for the trade. I would want to compare my animal to the pictures of T.daweishanensis. I will make more pictures if needed.

Here's my animal:

One of the yangi females:

Another one:

All the females together:

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I mentioned the possibility that the T.daweishanensis is being mixed into shipments of T.yangi. I did not photograph the one specimen I saw. The photos I have seen were posted on Facebook in the Salamanders and Newts group, which I linked a few days ago here as well. Otherwise, there are a couple photos of preserved animals in the original description, which admittedly may be less useful. Until I have an English translation and well-detailed photos, it will be hard to draw a conclusion. I would be open to the above photo being anything from an aberrant T.yangi, intergrade or hybrid with T.daweishanensis, or typical T.daweishanensis. Much of this depends on the validity and distinction of the latter. Regardless, I would recommend snapping up and isolating any of these oddballs, as there seem to be enough reaching the market that a concerted effort could result in a breeding group.

Edit - looking again, I'd exclude yours from being typical T.daweishanensis. The latter has bright coloring on the parotids, but not on the tubercles or dorsal ridge. In external coloration, T.daweishanensis is much more like T.taliangensis, but with more defined and rugose structure.

Last edited:

Niels D

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I won't consider it as a Yangi though, but as a Tylototriton sp, Tylototriton cf yangi or as a maldeveloped animal. Will keep a look out for animals looking like this one of course. You never know. I've got a typical Yangi male as well luckily.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1