Think I have a Lissotriton vulgaris instead of an axolotl?

lilmisspanda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
lilmisspands
Think we have been fooled since may of having an axolotl and it actually looks like we have a Juvenile Smooth Newt instead looks a lot like this one in appearance had a batch of 13 eggs in may only one that made it do any of you own these can they live in groups or with other newts ? would love some more information on them as much as I can has only came to my attention the past week once it has came out of the larvae phase

images

They are very tiny newts. If you put them with something bigger they'll probably get eaten.

How does a smooth newt get mixed up with an axolotl?

no idea the only thing i can think of is it maybe came on the live plants we had put in that we got from a garden center for the tank along with the snails that also came with it as a surprise as well of what was a nightmare to remove from the tank as they keep breeding like crazy must admit its a cute little thing I never saw it hatch though as I thought all the eggs i had got off the seller had died and randomly came along it swimming around in the tank and thought it escaped into the tank when i put them in there to keep cool

It's quite common to buy aquatic plants from UK garden centres with hitch hiking newt eggs. I've been caught out a number of times. All of the newts in my garden pond have been introduced accidentally on purchased plants.

It can live with other smooth newts but not axolotls. It will remain terrestrial as a juvenile (2-3 years) and then can be given an aquatic summer phase as an adult. They are really small so you need a source of tiny terrestrial invertebrates such as, spring tails, white worms, lesser waxworm, fruit flies, etc.

Despite being native to the UK it should not be released to the wild as it may have been exposed to disease which could spread to wild populations.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back