The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 28th November 2007   #1
Picklette
(picklette)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: picklette has started on the right path
Default Detrivores for Daphnia Pulex culture?

Is it advisable for me to introduce some detrivores such as malaysian trumpet snails to my daphnia culture, as they do seem to produce a lot of waste?
Has anyone tried this and would it be harmful in any way?
Thank you.

picklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I recently read this wonderful article online about culturing paramecia

http://www.aka.org/wako/Culturing%20Paramecia.html

and the author writes about adding snails to a culture to eat waste.

I was going to post something about this article, it is well-written and funny, and has a lot of good ideas.
And if I may, I was wondering, people always write to use lettuce to start infusoria. Is there something inherently infusorian about lettuce? what about banana peels or something?

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007   #3
Abrahm
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

I've heard of infusoria cultures being made with hay also. I think the key (from wild extrapolation and a little pondering ) is that you need something that will provide a food source without providing too much food. Bananas are loaded with sugars, protein and lipids that are much more accessible and easily used by organisms. Lettuce or hay have much less in the nutrient goody department and their delicious innards are hidden behind cellulose walls. I would think most lettuce like plants would be fine, but I wouldn't try fruits or most garden veggies like carrots and potatoes.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007   #4
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I have ordinary little snails in my daphnia cultures. I don't know if the snails do any good, but they co-exist quite happily. The only possible downside to having snails is that they might compete for calcium (both daphnia and snails need calcium to make their shells). I don't think this would be a problem unless you have very soft (low mineral) water.

Tags
culture, daphnia, detrivores, pulex