The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 18th September 2015   #1
Auli
(AuSu)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: AuSu has given good advice and informationAuSu has given good advice and information
Default Cynops? ID

Hi guys! Today I gave new home for two "pyrrhos". I had seen them in a not so clear picture but when I went to pick them, I noticed directly they don't look like our individuals. I'm familiar only with c.pyrrhogaster and h.orientalis but I think these could be c.ensicauda due to head shape, colour and tail. What do you think? Ask more photos if you think there are other choices. Now I'm going to rearrange a bit to get them a home of their own, care sheet checked :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150918_18_07_59_Pro.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	44069  

AuSu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015   #2
Xavier
(Sith the turtle)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 150
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Cynops? ID

Warty newt, unsure species and it looks like it is a male ready to breed looking at the tiny bit of tail in the photo

Old 18th September 2015   #3
Chinadog

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Is that a blue stripe on it's tail? If it is I would say C. ensicauda ensicauda. C. e popei don't get the tail stripe. A belly shot and a sideways on pic would help. :)

I almost said warty Xavier. We'll wait for more pics. :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015   #4
Xavier
(Sith the turtle)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Also, it would help with a photo of the newts face or head

Old 18th September 2015   #5
Xavier
(Sith the turtle)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
I almost said that, we'll wait for more pics. :)
Beat me to the punch there

Old 18th September 2015   #6
Auli
(AuSu)

Nationality:
Rep: AuSu has given good advice and informationAuSu has given good advice and information

Asked daughter to assist...yes, they have that bluish in tail, it shows in the pic. Skin is not warty (if I understand the term correctly).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150918_19_01_59_Pro.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	44070   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150918_19_02_06_Pro.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	44071   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150918_19_02_55_Pro.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	44072  

Old 18th September 2015   #7
Xavier
(Sith the turtle)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Looks like you got a Cynops ensicauda ensicauda!

Old 18th September 2015   #8
Auli
(AuSu)

Nationality:

Thanks guys, I knew I could trust you :) I checked out warty newts and paddletails on cc but they all have different faces and/or tails, some are "doggy" :) I think these must be c. ensicauda e. And I said we never take more species here...is that bluish only for boys? They have larger cloacas than my pyrrho/orientalis females, can I think that as a reliable clue?

Old 18th September 2015   #9
Chinadog

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

One point to me, Xavier.

They look healthy, I'm extremely jealous!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015   #10
Auli
(AuSu)

Nationality:

Too bad these are not nearer you! I'm not attached to them, yet They have been bought in pet shop three, four (previous owner didn't remember excactly) years ago. They must be WC since they've been sold as japanese firebellies; no breeder would mix species, I suppose?
It's going to be interesting! I have to rehome one bristlenose (ancistrus) and then the newts will arrive their new flat - now in a temporary plastic box.