The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 11th June 2018   #1
Aesyir

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aesyir is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is it possible my alpine newt is staying fed by feeding on little critters in aquarium?

Hello one of my alpine newts isn't eating much that I offer but seems to look full and satiated. I noticed there are TONS of of copepods in my aquarium notably on the glass. I have also noticed he "strikes" the glass quite often where a lot of these little guys reside so I assume he is eating them. I guess this is enough? there are also quite a few baby snails so maybe he is eating them too? He looks healthy and is acting normal so I guess this is fine?

Aesyir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018   #2
MnGuy

Nationality:
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it possible my alpine newt is staying fed by feeding on little critters in aquarium?

If he looks fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

What are you feeding him?

I have three alpine newts, and I feed them a mix of pellets, frozen blood worms, daphnia I culture outside and mosquito larva. And small worms from my garden. I rarely sit to watch them eat, but they all look healthy.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018   #3
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and informationRoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and information
Default Re: Is it possible my alpine newt is staying fed by feeding on little critters in aquarium?

I know when I go out of town, my Clawed Frog stays well fed by munching on the Ramshorn snails in my tank, as well as the copepods and planaria. I assume the alpine newt could do the same. But I would also ask what you are feeding him? He may be eating the tank critters instead if what you feed him isn’t interesting, and I wouldn’t be sure tank critters can provide him all the necessary nutrition long term.
Could you possibly post a picture of the tank?

RoreyRoreyRorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018   #4
Aesyir

Nationality:
Rep: Aesyir is an unknown quantity at this point

I feed them chopped nightcrawlers and bloodworms. He ate some nightcralwer today so thats good but from what i can tell he probably didnt need it. It just is annoying because I dont just wana assume he is staying fed off stuff in the tank because im not 100% sure. It does look like it though.

Aesyir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copepods