The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 12th April 2009   #1
jplee3

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jplee3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My new setup - thanks guys!

Hey guys,

I got three P Waltls today and I believe a Chinese Firebelly newt. The P Waltls I bought from a guy who frequents the forums regularly and was great to deal with - thank you Aaron! The Chinese Firebelly I found through Craigslist and it ended up being more of a 'rescue' than anything. The poor fellow is in *horrible* condition... shortly after receiving it, I noticed that its two hindlegs have been hindered useless. There appears to be a gash in front of one of the legs. So I'm assuming they were broken from rough handling or reckless care. The lady I got it from was taking care of it out of duty because her daughter found some other girl throwing it away and ended up taking it in for a little bit before handing it over to her. Anyway, the legs appear to have been crushed from probably mishandling. The poor guy was in the dirtiest little plastic container with algae growing all over the sides as well. Thanks to Aaron, who gave me his 10gal aquarium that was previously housing the P Waltls, I was able to give the CFN a new home. I have yet to install a filter for him so his water's a bit murky but I should be getting a new Duetto in a couple days, which should work out perfectly. I did give him a good amount of land and plants to float with. At first, I added a bit too much water for him to handle because I noticed he was really struggling to swim up to the top for air (crippled hindlegs make it harder to swim I notice) so I took out more water and have down to a -4" level and added more sand to create a small land area for him to hang out on. So far he's been chilling in the water quite a bit, which is a good sign I suppose :). Along with the 10gal aquarium and P Waltls came a Zoo Med 501 canister filter, which seems to be working quite well - the water in the P Waltl tank is really clear. But yea their turds are the size of rat turds! HUGE! The P Waltls are such fun to watch! I love how they float vertically in the water and just hang out. All in all, it was a productive and fun weekend. Hopefully the little CFN does okay in his new home. I also noticed his eyes seem to be enlarged a bit - is this normal? I *think* he may have contracted slight fungus. I haven't seen any white spots around his body though. Maybe I'm just seeing things. I'll have to take a closer inspection soon. And additionally, his belly does not seem to be very 'trademark' of a firebelly newt - it's almost completely black with really tiny orange dots. I *think* it's a CFN, but I'll have to post some pics later to verify. I just want to let him adjust to the tank without handling the poor guy so much.

Click the image to open in full size.

I plan on getting some live plants for these guys soon...hopefully. And with that, I also plan to add more water to the P Waltl tank.

Anyway, thanks for all your guys' help. It's really gotten me interested in the subject/hobby again.

jplee3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guys, setup