The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums Share your knowledge and give advice about plants for vivaria.

Old 9th November 2010   #1
Jonny
(JonathanBalchan)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JonathanBalchan is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Pothos totally submerged?

Hey there just wondering if pothos can grow totally submerged? I have read mixed comments all over the internet and photos showing them totally submerged but also photos with just the roots in there. I have a lid one my tank with lighting and two axolotls. I have plants growing on the surface, aquatic, and i have taken cuttings of pothos and cheese plant and put them in a large bowl of water hoping that the roots will grow. If the pothos doesn't grow totally submerged how cant i grow it with a lid on the thank?

JonathanBalchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010   #2
joost
(Joost)
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 1
Rep: Joost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Pothos totally submerged?

It worked out by me. I place the plant on a land area (mostly some mopani wood wchich sticks out of the water), and after a very short time (they grow really fast) they crawl under water.

Old 10th November 2010   #3
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I've had it grow fully submerged as well. Although, I try to grow it so that the leaves stay out of the water.

Old 10th November 2010   #4
ghostsaw

Nationality:
Rep: ghostsaw has given good advice and informationghostsaw has given good advice and informationghostsaw has given good advice and information

pothos underwater no problem and if it dosen't work out its only pothos...

ghostsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010   #5
Foster Reves
(freves)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have grown it emerged for years and it does great. Some of the leaves remain continuously underwater and even though they survive for long periods of time this way they do eventually die. As long as some of the plant has air exposure it should do well.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010   #6
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

In my case it does fanstastically well if the leaves are emerged, but if they are underwater they donīt last very long. As i told you, the stems and root can be completely submerged and donīt even require a substrate, but for best results, the leaves should be out of the water.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010   #7
vincent

Nationality:
Rep: vincent has given good advice and informationvincent has given good advice and information

I just chuck bits in with any tank that has water in and it grows really well some leaves need to be out the water ,but it grows really fast, and provides something for your baby newts or frogs to climb on

vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010   #8
ghostsaw

Nationality:
Rep: ghostsaw has given good advice and informationghostsaw has given good advice and informationghostsaw has given good advice and information

I have some in my newt tank in the basement and they used to have big leaves now they just have alot of small ones.

ghostsaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, chese plant, plants, pothos