The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums Share your knowledge and give advice about plants for vivaria.

Old 6th March 2011   #1
J
(spendday)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: spendday has given consistently good advice and informationspendday has given consistently good advice and informationspendday has given consistently good advice and information
Question What do you use as growing medium? (aquatic)

Hey I'm thinking of re-doing my fire belly tank into something a bit more natural I don't like the idea of having a full substrate currently I used a "bare bottom" tank with a few river rocks and large stones on it a and I was thinking of something similar......Anyway I was thinking of having some plants in pots (thats possible right?) but what do you use as a substrate/growing medium? also ideas of good plants choices might be a good idea.

Many thanks in advance.

J

spendday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011   #2
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: What do you use as growing medium? (aquatic)

Yes, you can have plants in pots. It could be plain sand or gravel, or you could even use some kind of soil substrate. See
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gene...a-walstad.html
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...t-bundles.html

Old 7th March 2011   #3
Molch
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

rather than pots, I use wide, shallow glass dishes from the kitchen store as planters. That way, the soil is less likely to go too anaerobic. I use ca. 1 inch of potting soil and 1 inch of gravel on top of that. Plants grow like champions. I have the planters against the back wall with free floor space in front where I feed bloodworms and earthworms etc.

Old 7th March 2011   #4
Eva
(evut)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

When you're choosing plants, make sure you check the hardness and pH of the water first. I live in an area with very hard alkaline water and have found that most plants can't live in it. Also look at plants that don't need any substrate - there are many that can just float and some can be tied to rocks or wood.

evut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
medium, plants, pot, potted, substrate