The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Old 12th December 2014   #1
Stupot1610

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Breeding fire salamanders (S.s.terrestris)

Well, as expected the gravid female S.s.terrestris has started depositing larvae! So far there's two and there was also one unfertilised egg. She's still spending quite a lot of time in the water dish in the evening. I'm looking forward to having more larvae, I have a question though. I won't be able to get any tiny live foods until Monday but I have some small frozen bloodworms, will they be ok on these until Monday? I could also try get some tiny live food from my pond.
Larvae:
Click the image to open in full size.
Female in the water tray;

Stuart

Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014   #2
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Breeding fire salamanders (S.s.terrestris)

I would think that bloodworms would be ok, but I don't know for sure. However you can collect Daphnia etc. from a local pond. It is great food for the larvae and is free. Congrats on the larvae, and good luck!

Old 13th December 2014   #3
physalia

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: physalia is an unknown quantity at this point

they will be ok until monday. food from your pond risks introducing diseases/pathogens/parasites.

physalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014   #4
Stupot1610

Nationality:
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

There's now three larvae. I have got some tiny live food for them now, from my existing tanks. So, hopefully they'll be ok on this for a day or two.

Stuart

Old 13th December 2014   #5
Stupot1610

Nationality:

Up to five larvae now, there were six but one was deposited on land and I didn't find it in time. I have put them in a 45 litre tank which has been set up for ages, it is full of aquatic plants and tiny insects, this should be fine until I get daphnia and tubifex on Monday and I'm ordering a grindal worm culture which should arrive Tuesday. The female has been moved to her own seperately tank in a dark room, the tank has 4cm of water with a hide and moss at one end which is above water. This seems to have settled her and she has deposited larvae every few hours since I moved her.

Stuart

Old 15th December 2014   #6
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Just go straight to frozen food or pelleted food. Fire salamander larvae are easy to raise than almost anything else (just watch out for drowning at metamorphosis).

Old 15th December 2014   #7
Stupot1610

Nationality:

Ok, thanks. I should be getting some live tubifex today and have loads of live bloodworm coming tomorrow or Wednesday. She has had a total of 23 larvae but one was born on land and died, so she's had 22 living. 3 are going to Jake (Jaffa Cake) so I have 19. I'm pretty sure she's done having larvae but I could be wrong, she's still quite a bit fatter than the other female but I think it's because she'll take a while to go back to normal size.

Stuart

Old 10th January 2015   #8
Stupot1610

Nationality:

This is how they are now;

Old 11th January 2015   #9
stanleyc

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information

Nice looking larvae and congrats! The tubifex worms should be great for them!

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015   #10
Ashley
(HodgeaPodge)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: HodgeaPodge has shown reliable knowledge

They look chubby and healthy. Great job!

Larvae are so cute...

HodgeaPodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015   #11
manderkeeper

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path

So cute! Good luck and congrats!

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire salamander