The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

Old 29th April 2007   #21
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The male is C. pyrrhogaster with 100% certainty. He's in very nice breeding dress. The female certainly looks like orientalis, but I would not assign absolute certainty. C. p. Kanto look similar to orientalis. However, the odds are very high that it's indeed orientalis, not Kanto.

Thanks for posting the photos, and keep us posted on any "developments". Does the male actively court the female?

Old 29th April 2007   #22
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Very interesting, Michael. I'd like to see more pictures of the female, which also looks to me to be C. orientalis (the male is definitely C. pyrrhogaster).

I wouldn't separate them for any reasons other than as a matter of principle. Realistically, the chances of their offspring making it to adulthood to begin are minimal. In my reckoning (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), there are very few people who have managed this with these species, which is why one only ever sees WC of either on the market. And assuming they <u>were</u> successfully raised to adulthood, the chances of them finding their way from where you are back into the wild in either China or Japan and messing up the gene pool there are so minute that it's hard to imagine. There are many, many more immediate threats to these two species than a SF Bay hobbyist.

Having said that, I can certainly understand the concerns expressed about hybrids in general. Right now, here in Japan, herpetologists are grappling with the problem of Chinese giant salamanders fouling the gene pool of Japanese giant salamanders. These were once imported in large numbers as a delicacy for the restaurant trade and some made their way into the wild where they have interbred with Japanese ones (yes, despite their being separate species).

I should also point out that there is a record of C. ensicauda and C. pyrrhogaster being successfully bred in the laboratory in Japan. There may be some scientific value in knowing whether C. orientalis and C. pyrrhogaster can likewise interbreed...though again, this is not to be encouraged as a matter of principle.

I've posted photos here before of a C. pyrrhogaster male actively courting a C. cyanurus female, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear of one courting a C. orientalis. Anything beyond that would, however Click the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007   #23
michael

Gallery Images:
Comments:

thank you everyone for replying. yes..a lot. he stomps on her head and flutters his tail in her face, and chases her around climbs all over her. (he's not mean about it,he just kinda holds her there with his feet.)

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

(Message edited by jennewt on April 30, 2007)

Old 14th February 2010   #24
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: paul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default AW: Japanese/chinese fire newt cross breeding

Hi all,

we don't see any useful photo of the female for a good classification!
What makes you so sure that it is a orientalis?

What's the totale lenght?
What belly pattern?

I think it is a Kanto pyrrhogater - quite larger then 10 cm, no typical orientals belly!

Paul

paul_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010   #25
benschaller2

Nationality:
Rep: benschaller2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Japanese/chinese fire newt cross breeding

Go for it.

I love life. [dont think I could live without the stuff] I find the gift of life amazing in that from 2 individuals rise one individual with both traits. but monkeys and birds will never find true happiness with each other.

I am not for people playing god though, if you will.

I am not educated in this matter ether

If it works, it works
you didnt post this without having an interest in the results, and you will never know said results unless you try it out. Let me know what happends.

just my opinion

benschaller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015   #26
Keith Petrosky
(keithp)

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: keithp has given consistently good advice and informationkeithp has given consistently good advice and informationkeithp has given consistently good advice and information

I found this thread VERY interesting what ever happened to the pair breeding? Was there any offspring?

keithp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015   #27
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I don't think anybody will know the answer about what happened to animals from a thread that was initiated 8 years ago. I wanted to point out that the Michael in this thread is not me. I would not cross breed.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015   #28
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: paul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default AW: Japanese/chinese fire newt cross breeding

Indeed, I am interested!
Because, I got better photos of this female, and I am pretty sure this is not orientalis - pattern like C.pyrrhogaster from Kanto, totale length of nearly 12 cm!
Paul

paul_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015   #29
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

It's a shame there were never any decent pictures of the female, a decent belly shot would have been good enough most likely. She sure could be C. p kanto, but then again she seems to have the row of tiny white (sensory?) dots along here side which I think are a Hypselotriton characteristic and are absent in C. pyrrhogaster?

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, cross, fire, japanese or chinese, newt

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 4th November 2019, 15:59 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.