The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 7th January 2016   #21
Xavier
(Sith the turtle)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 150
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Do Axolotls see color?

Also, you guys revived a really old thread, it was from March last year

Old 7th January 2016   #22
Chris
(AxolotlChris)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith the turtle View Post
Also, you guys revived a really old thread, it was from March last year
From 2008 actualy! I forgot to check the thread date >.<

Old 9th January 2016   #23
Laura
(LSuzuki)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

Nothing wrong with reviving old threads. The question is still interesting. :-)

I suspect they see color. One of my stupider ones has a hard time finding food. I've been feeding them Hikari carnivore pellets that are red. He tends to get confused and snaps at the red sticker on the underside of the bare-bottom tank instead of the near-by pellets. But perhaps he is just seeing the contrast between the sicker and the black board under the tank.

If I recall correctly, and if what I read was correct, "wild type", "melanoid", and "leucistic" were original colors in the wild population and "albino" was breed in by crossing with an albino ambystoma tigrinum.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016   #24
Laura
(LSuzuki)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

I thought I remembered looking some stuff up on this general topic before ... I found this old thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...72-lights.html So, at least some scientific evidence exists that they see some ultraviolet. Characterization of an ultraviolet photoreception mechanism in the retina of an amphibian, the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum)

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016   #25
Sanshouo

Nationality:
Rep: Sanshouo has started on the right path
Default Re: Do Axolotl's see color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiafee View Post
I hate to bring up religion in a hobby forum, I really do, but in case anyone missed it, the previously posted website is an advocate of intelligent design rather than evolution. That doesn't automatically mean the plain facts of the anatomy are mis-described, but I would advise doublechecking
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought that the artistic comment seemed weird

Sanshouo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, color