The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 21st May 2019   #1
joshrose123

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: joshrose123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My fire salamander wont eat

Hello, I have recently purchased a 12-month-old, female, fire salamander and she hasn't eaten now in around 5 days. I ensure if I am just overreacting or I need to change something up. Her temperature is always between 60-70 degrees (Fahrenheit), which is green on my thermometer, and she is sprayed daily. The tank is a 10-gallon tank with space for her to hide and dig.

I am currently feeding her medium brown crickets. I am trying every day but she rarely takes them and even when she does take them she will only ever eat 1 at a time.

Any advice? Thank you all.

joshrose123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019   #2
Mister Wayne
(MisterWayne)

Nationality:
Rep: MisterWayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My fire salamander wont eat

I have two groups of two Salamandra. I normally put 8 crickets in at a time with a piece of carrot and just leave them for 3 days in each enclosure. If the crickets get hungry they can eat the carrot and will leave the salamanders alone. Sometime they eat all 8 crickets within 12 hours, sometimes I have to remove the crickets and dust them again after 3/4 days. As long as your temps are good, substrate isn't too wet maybe try this approach?

I also have read sometimes they can be picky eaters. Maybe try feeding earthworms and see if you get a better feeding response?

It can be super stressful I have had my ups and downs too. I hope this helps.

MisterWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019   #3
joshrose123

Nationality:
Rep: joshrose123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My fire salamander wont eat

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I will try changing the food around and ensure the substrate isn't too wet.

joshrose123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire salamander, help me, wont eat