The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

Old 2nd November 2003   #1
r

Gallery Images:
Comments:

For more years that I choose to divulge, I have been using termites as the primary dietary component for many newly metamorphed newt and freshly hatched plethodontid salamander species kept in terrestrial terraria. I have found these insects easily procurable and since they are ambulatory small sallys home in and eat them readily. I augment the termites with tiny sections of earthworms proffered on broom straws. Any thoughts from other caudatan breeders? thanx/rdb

Old 2nd November 2003   #2
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sounds like a good food source.
I might have to try and get hold of some.

Thanks, Mark

Old 2nd November 2003   #3
erik

Gallery Images:
Comments:

When I lived in North Carolina I used to feed termites to all my species. To me they are a near perfect food item for Plethodon and other terrestrial species. I'm not sure how Dick collects his termites, but I either use a termite trap(homemade) or use a paint brush to brush them off the bottom side of logs and into a bucket.

Old 2nd November 2003   #4
r

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I collect them pretty much like you did Erik. Pine beetles killed tens of thousands of pines in my area a few years ago, and many of these are now in ideal condition to host termites that are easily brushed into a small dish. We also have some baled cardboard corrugate in the backyard that accrue a goodly number of termites and from these the insects are simply shaken. rdb

Old 11th April 2009   #5
Lamb

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Termites (fresh caught daily) as newt metamorph food

I've been wanting to get ahold of some termites for my E. cirrigera juvenile, with no luck. I found this article, and if I didn't live in the dorms I would try it. It discusses setting up termite farms, and seems easy, although just having cardboard out in the yard is much simpler

http://www.chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=55

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
(fresh, caught, daily), food, metamorph, newt, termites

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 32 (Set)

Azhael, bewilderbeast, blueberlin, caudatadude28, del, doktordoris, ferret_corner, fishkeeper, froggy, Hardwarehank, Jennewt, Kaysie, KeithLic, KennyDB, Lamb, merk199, micstarz, napoleon, nate, Necturus101, nickjwes, noodlenoo, oceanblue, ODell, Otterwoman, platinum, ReiDragon, seandelevan, SnakeDancer, Socrates, Steve Roman, Thecomickid