The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Old 9th February 2008   #1
Heather Jewett
(jewett)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Maa metamorph male in breeding dress

One of my less-than-a-year old Maa males decided to go into breeding dress about 6 weeks ago. Out of my 10 Maa morphs I have at least 2 males, but only this one has really developed the crest and the coloration. The other male just has a tiny crest, but they both tail fan their tank mates and have enlarged cloaca's. What I think is funny is that this little guy is only one of two morphs left that still has gill remnants. It's like he's only "acting" all grown up, though I know they can breed this young and Mesotritons can have neotony. At what age do you consider a newt truly neotenic? These guys will be a year old this spring. Here are some lousy pictures of the little fellow

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa

Last edited by jewett; 10th February 2008 at 16:40.
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008   #2
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

They're little stunners in breeding dress. I have two males out of a group of 13. One of my females is almost two years old and still has tiny nubs of gills. She had them when I first got her, but they haven't gotten any smaller.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008   #3
Ashley C.
(ButtercupSaiyan)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: ButtercupSaiyan has started on the right path

So the crests develop during the breeding season? (Please pardon my ignorance on this wonderful species... Google is stingy with specific answers.)

ButtercupSaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008   #4
Andrew
(andrew_taricha)

Nationality:
Rep: andrew_taricha has started on the right path
Default Re: Maa metamorph male in breeding dress

i had a few apuanus in a litter that kept their gills into breeding dress but did eventually loose them completely. im thinking they were a year and a half or even older before they went away

andrew_taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008   #5
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by axolotl_jake View Post
They're little stunners in breeding dress. I have two males out of a group of 13....
Based on my experience, I would bet the farm that you have more than 2 males. Among the youngsters of this species, there are often one or two who show males traits early on. The other males remain "covert" for the first couple of years. I had several that had me totally fooled into believing that they were females.

Old 13th May 2008   #6
brucedickinson

Nationality:
Rep: brucedickinson has started on the right path

Yeah, I have three m.a.a. (thanks Andrew!) -- one I am definitely sure is female, one I can tell is male, and one is very ???

Last edited by brucedickinson; 13th May 2008 at 22:53. Reason: Remembering to thank Andrew for apaunus
brucedickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008   #7
Heather Jewett
(jewett)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Jen, that is very interesting. I think that I have at least 3 males but sounds like my census will not be certain for a few more years. They have also lost all but the smallest "nubs" of their gills.

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, dress, maa, male, metamorph