The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Old 3rd March 2008   #1
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Tiger salamanders are illegal in Pennsylvania, USA.

After hearing different stories I emailed the herpetologist from Pa. fish and boat.

Chris Urban told me, "It is not legal to purchase and sell tiger salamanders in Pa. Even though they are currently considered extirpated, they are still a native species in Pa. They are known south of the Pa border in Delaware, and could potentially be re-discovered in Pa."

I guess according to the Pa. law you could still posses 2 as long as you have a Pa. fishing license and they were legally collected or sold in another state.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008   #2
Nathan
(Nathan050793)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Thats good to know, thanks for sharing.

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008   #3
Pete
(pete)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I hope that axolotls aren't considered Tiger salamanders in PA

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008   #4
Michael Shrom
(michael)

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I hope that axolotls aren't considered Tiger salamanders in PA
It doesn't apply to axolotls. I'm not sure about subspecies of tigers or animals that used to be subspecies and are now species. I was interested in possibly getting some c.b. tiger salamanders but I guess it isn't meant to be.

Old 4th March 2008   #5
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Michael - thanks for posting this information re PA law ... per our recent conversation. Laws here in Indiana are similar. If one holds a valid fishing or hunting license, up to 4 tigers or other non-endangered native species of amphibians/reptiles may be collected. However, it is illegal to sell or purchase any native species.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008   #6
Roy van Grunsven
(grunsven)

Nationality:
Rep: grunsven has given consistently good advice and informationgrunsven has given consistently good advice and informationgrunsven has given consistently good advice and informationgrunsven has given consistently good advice and information

And as everybody will now Pa is the international abbreviation for Panama.

(There are people outside the US please think of that when you post something)

grunsven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008   #7
Michael Shrom
(michael)

Nationality:

Ephrata, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. I guess all along people looked at my post and thought I was a U.S. citizen living in Ephrata, Panama.

Old 4th March 2008   #8
Pete
(pete)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Ephrata, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. I guess all along people looked at my post and thought I was a U.S. citizen living in Ephrata, Panama.
I was confused when I saw Tigers were once native to Panama and that Panama bordered Delaware in the original post. :)

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008   #9
Roy van Grunsven
(grunsven)

Nationality:
Rep: grunsven has given consistently good advice and informationgrunsven has given consistently good advice and informationgrunsven has given consistently good advice and informationgrunsven has given consistently good advice and information

I know it couldn't be Panama. I'm not that stupid.
Just try to remember this is an international forum.

Greetings Roy

grunsven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008   #10
Jason Konopinski
(flyangler18)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Rep: flyangler18 has given consistently excellent advice and informationflyangler18 has given consistently excellent advice and informationflyangler18 has given consistently excellent advice and informationflyangler18 has given consistently excellent advice and informationflyangler18 has given consistently excellent advice and information

Does this only apply to tigrinum? Or are A. mavortium spp also affected?

Old 3rd April 2008   #11
Michael Shrom
(michael)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Does this only apply to tigrinum? Or are A. mavortium spp also affected?
I think it is only tigrinum and subspecies of tigrinum but you could ask Chris Urban at Pa. fish and boat for clarification. I think marvotium used to be a subspecies of tigrinum and fish and boat doesn't distinguish to subspecies level. The last time I checked mavortium is at species level and should be o.k. Does that make sense to you?

Old 3rd April 2008   #12
Jason Konopinski
(flyangler18)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Rep: flyangler18 has given consistently excellent advice and informationflyangler18 has given consistently excellent advice and informationflyangler18 has given consistently excellent advice and informationflyangler18 has given consistently excellent advice and informationflyangler18 has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Does that make sense to you?
It does. I recall reading some of the literature when the taxonomic split happened. I'll email Chris Urban and see what he has to say.

Old 4th April 2008   #13
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
It does. I recall reading some of the literature when the taxonomic split happened. I'll email Chris Urban and see what he has to say.
Might you please post his response here? Appreciated.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014   #14
Michael Shrom
(michael)

Nationality:
Default Re: Tiger salamanders are illegal in Pennsylvania, USA.

This thread is old but no longer accurate. Tiger salamanders are no longer on the Pa. Fish and Boat native amphibian list. According to enforcement agent Captain T. Burrell they are legal to keep and sell. The regulations have not changed. The Pa. native amphibian list and interpretations of the regulations have changed.

Picture 1 eastern tiger salamander
Picture 2 Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum (blotched tiger salamander)
Both are recent metamorphs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	2267
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	38770   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022.jpg
Views:	3246
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	38771  

Old 1st August 2014   #15
Paul
(AmbystoMan)

Nationality:
Rep: AmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and information

as I see it from France,

1st is a blotched, A.mavortium melanostictum
2nd is a Grey, A.mavortium diaboli

where are they from ?

?

AmbystoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014   #16
FrogEyes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

From what I've seen [not locally], some eastern populations resemble classic "blotched". "Gray" variants are common in melanostictum.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014   #17
Michael Shrom
(michael)

Nationality:

They are from western Wisconsin.

Old 2nd August 2014   #18
Michael Shrom
(michael)

Nationality:

Oops. Western Minnesota.

Tags
illegal, pennsylvania, salamanders, tiger, usa