The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 27th March 2008   #1
Abberzoo
(Abberzoo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Abberzoo has started on the right path
Unhappy Something is wrong with my sweet boy's gills!!!!

About 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed that my Axi's gills on one side were being chewed on by the fish he had not yet eaten. I imediately took the fish and he was doing fine. I just noticed today that his gills seem to be getting more damaged looking and the gills on the other side sre starting to look nibbled on as well (he is alone by the way)! Does he have an infection? Is it fungus? The only thing I have changed lately is I have added an air pump with a bubble bar. Any ideas what this could be? Here are a couple pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stleftgills.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	2720   Click image for larger version

Name:	stitchgills.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2721   Click image for larger version

Name:	stitchgills2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	2722  

Abberzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #2
sheila robinson

Nationality:
Rep: sheila robinson has given good advice and informationsheila robinson has given good advice and information

I am sure you will get replies from more experienced people but for the time being I would start giving him a salt bath. Take 2lts from your tank into an iceream bucket/tub; mix 4 teas of sea salt then add your axi for 10 minutes only.Try to maintain the water temp so it is the same as your tank. You can put him in the container in the fridge if necessary ( put the lid on so the light doesn't stress him) While he is in the salt bath replace the water you took out of your tank with fresh dechlorinated water, preferable the same temp as your tank. When his 10 minutes is up just gently put him back in his tank and throw away the water from his salt bath. The film on his gills looks like what my fella had and the salt baths worked. I kept it up for about 4 days; once a day.I have read that you can do it more but I can only suggest what I have actually done. Good luck.

sheila robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #3
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

The very first picture I think ( brains not really kicked into life yet!!) may show signs of the fungus ..the slightly cotton wool like bits that are white. Its a very good photo by the way..I love seeing bits of axolotl that I can't usually get to see ( now that sounds a little too weird). The other two , though the gills are a little less perfect seem to just be showing some of the natural colouration you get from albino axolotl.
I would start doing salt baths to eliminate the fungus as soon as possible.
Finally, just out of interest what have you got on the bottom of your tank...can't quite make it out!!

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #4
Abberzoo
(Abberzoo)

Nationality:

Thank you very much for the info so far! I will start salt baths.
I have small pebbbles on the bottom of the tank.
I have been wondering if sand would be ok to use. Although it would probably be hard to clean.

Old 27th March 2008   #5
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Sand is much better than pebbles. It is less likely to cause impactions (which can lead to death). It's also fairly easy to clean, as most waste settles on top instead of falling between the cracks (like with gravel).

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008   #6
click
(ianclick)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 1
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi Aberzoo,

I would follow the advice given by bellabelloo and Kaysie.

Unfortunately your axie and you are learning why axies and fish are not good tank partners. Im sure a lot of people will disagree but this is why we advise against keeping axies and fish together.

Good Luck

ianclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008   #7
Abberzoo
(Abberzoo)

Nationality:

Well, I just put a few in with him, so he could eat them and he refused to eat one of them and it became his buddy... Then his buddy started eating HIM!
Will the gills grow back?
I also have a couple babies that seem to have gotten in a fight and now one of them has only one good leg. He is doing great otherwise (eating and growing faster than the other one), but I was currious if his limbs will grow back?
Thanks again for the advise!!!

Old 28th March 2008   #8
click
(ianclick)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi Aberzoo,

Yes your axies gills will grow back and so should the limbs. Axolotls have amazing regenerative abilities

Best of luck

Old 28th March 2008   #9
Jay
(Kal El)

Nationality:
Rep: Kal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and information

Abberzoo,

I would reccomend separating the two baby axolotls to prevent any future fights that could result in the loss of more than just a leg. Also, keep an eye on the 'lost limb' to ensure that it doesn't develop any fungus or an infection of any sort. If fungus does develop, then you will have to start giving salt baths.

Jay.

Old 28th March 2008   #10
Abberzoo
(Abberzoo)

Nationality:

I have been keeping an eye on his wounds to make sure they do not get any kind of infection. They look to be pretty much healed over at this point. We have named him Legolas because it sounds like "leg less." And we named the other one Hannibal!

Old 28th March 2008   #11
Abberzoo
(Abberzoo)

Nationality:

I just found Hannibal dead with a white cottony coating! Legolas isn't doing well either! I think I need to give him a salt bath, what is the salt to water ratio I should use?

Old 28th March 2008   #12
click
(ianclick)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Hi Aberzoo,

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Have a look at www.axolotl.org it has excellent explanations about all things axolotl

Old 31st March 2008   #13
Abberzoo
(Abberzoo)

Nationality:

Just wondering...Do I need to make a new salt bath every time (I have been so far)? Or can I reuse the same one?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am still learning here.

Old 31st March 2008   #14
Sarah
(Saspotato)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Saspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Make a new salt bath each time. :)

Saspotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008   #15
Roy van Grunsven
(grunsven)

Nationality:
Rep: grunsven has given consistently good advice and informationgrunsven has given consistently good advice and informationgrunsven has given consistently good advice and informationgrunsven has given consistently good advice and information

Saltbaths are a cure but you should do something about the cause of this, otherwise it will happen again and again.
What is the temperature? do you change water regularly? how much do you feed?

grunsven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008   #16
Ashley C.
(ButtercupSaiyan)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: ButtercupSaiyan has started on the right path

I guess the fish and other axolotl are opportunists--eating at a present wound now.

Looking at the picture makes me cringe in sympathy.

ButtercupSaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008   #17
Abberzoo
(Abberzoo)

Nationality:

I think the water was too warm!
I am monitoring it very carefully and cooling it down with a frozen water bottle, when needed.
I have been feeding him every day and I feed him a virety of either 1 goldfish, a nickle size portion of tubiflex worms, a chunk of frozen bloodworms, or some salamander pellets.

Tags
boy, gills, sweet, wrong