The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 21st May 2019   #1
alindlaiyne

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: alindlaiyne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP! UNwanted guest/snail pest!

Today I fished out what I thought was a stray food pellet in my tank only to find out its actually a snail! In any other tank I would be fine with this, but not in a lotl tank, as I dont want them to eat them and get impacted.

It was only one snail, but I still worry there may already be eggs in my tank. I have no live plants, but it is possible that this guy somehow rode in with the feeder shrimp I bought..I wont be buying feeder shrimp anymore thats for sure!

So what I am asking is, how do I treat an infestation if one should occur? Can I treat the water somehow? Or is my only option to just pick them out if there are indeed others?

The snail is very small. Smaller than a pea. Its body looks to be clear but I am not sure. Its shell also looks clear but has dark spots on it. I put the snail in a cup of water with my avocado pits for now. Maybe as it gets bigger I will be able to better identify it. I like snails, and will probably just keep the little guy. But what do I do about the tank?

Old 21st May 2019   #2
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: HELP! UNwanted guest/snail pest!

You could leave it in your tank
I always have snails with my animals, most will get eaten. If you are concerned you can hand pick them out, some people place a lettuce leaf in your tank to attract the snails.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pest, snails