The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 11th August 2011   #1
Carl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Carl is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face A Number of Questions: Filter, Tank Size, Substrate

Hi,
I've already posted a previous thread about my Ammonia I purchased however I have a couple more questions regarding tank sizes and filters, I've seen that an aquatics shop near me sells hand made tanks which are cheaper then the named brand tanks and looking at my budget I think that I could easily afford a tank which is 24" x 12" X 12" (57 Litre) I know that this is a good length of tank for an Axolotl however is it tall/wide enough? as I would like to keep to a small budget at the moment I will be sticking with an internal sponge filter and I particularly like the look of the Eheim Pickup 2008 is this pump okay to use? or do you think it will be to powerful or not powerful enough? also the substrate... I've heard that you can use play sand? what are the things to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!

Carl

Last edited by Carl; 11th August 2011 at 23:58.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011   #2
Carson
(carsona246)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: carsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: A Number of Questions: Filter, Tank Size, Substrate

Tank size: The tank size you showed would work, but when your axolotl got bigger it would be a little cramped. I would personally get a larger tank, but if you can manage your water parameters it will work.
Filter:Never used the specific filter you're using, but spongefilters can totally filter a tank. Not sure how well the filter will do on mechanical filtration, but so long as there is no ammonia/nitrite in your tank your axolotls will be ok with the filter.
Substrate:Bare bottom or sand is usually the preferred substrate. One thing to watch out for with playsand is to rinse the heck out of it before you put it in the tank or your tank will be cloudy for a while.

carsona246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011   #3
Rachel
(yellowpebble)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

spong fiters are great! IFrom m experience axie poop as too big to be sucked into most mechanical filters anyway so you will have to do a regular poop scoop. A turkey baster is great for this! In my oppinion biological filtration is much more nececery, but it has to be combined with poop scooping.

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011   #4
katie11122

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: katie11122 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I have just recently set up two new tanks while I was trying to breed and have done so successfully! i have read that fine beach sand can irritate their gills and bare bottom tanks can stress them out as they can not grip the bottom, I tried larger rocks (twice the size of their head but found food & waste became trapped which deteriorated the water very quickly! What I settled on was a course sand / fine gravel. Itís heavy enough for them to eat without being ingested (I donít feed mine pellets though). Filter wise their should be a gallons/litres on the box that tells you how much water it can clean with in the hour, personally I brought a filter that was capable of cleaning a bigger tank that way it wouldnít have to work overtime. I have a slightly bigger tank than yours (just under 3 foot) which I kept four big axolotls in how ever they are well feed and each about 3-4 years old so they donít snap at each other.