The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 31st December 2012   #1
theblondie616

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: theblondie616 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filter is driving me mad

Hi guys. The hang of the back filter that came with my tank is going to make be kill someone. The vibrations are terrible. Are they all this loud? I have packed foam behind it, fiddled with the wires and just about done every thing I can think of to stop it. It stops for a wile but always creeps back. If I were to get an internal filter would I have to cycle my tank agen? I'm thinking of getting this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-All...6925316&sr=8-1
Thoughts? Any help would be great

theblondie616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012   #2
Dinky!
(NeekaLovesYou)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Comments: 3
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Filter is driving me mad

Have you taken it apart to see if any of the inside components have come loose or are missing? I had something similar happen with one of mine and it turned out all the racket was being caused by a silly little piece of plastic that was missing.

Old 31st December 2012   #3
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Have you cleaned the impeller?

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012   #4
Tess
(sugarkandii)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 6
Rep: sugarkandii has started on the right path

From my experience with internal filters like that, I find them just as noisy as the standard off-the-back Aqua Flow filters. Usually they start off good, and then as time goes on they either deteriorate or loosen up, magnets become weaker, etc.. I feel your pain though, I have a sump for my 155 gallon that's on the outer wall of my room- so as quiet as my lotl tank is I always hear the humming hahah.

If you clean it out and put everything back together like Kaysie and Neeka suggested and it's still loud as hell- Eheim's internal filters are seriously wicked and I would 100% recommend them ; EHEIM miniUP . I have a Tetra Whisper for a 15-20 gallon on my tank that I also find to be incredibly quiet- but I know they're not the best quality for longevity and such- and that was a Walmart purchase for $20 CAD.

Depending on what kind of filter you have right now and what you end up getting- If you're going from a powerfilter to another power filter, you may have the privilege of having similar sponge sizes/cartridge sizes that you can simply move your media from your old filter into the new one. Your best bet if you end up going from a power filter to an internal like the one you posted, would be just hooking up the new filter with the old one also running in the tank to allow your previous filter to continue doing its job while allowing the new filter media to cycle alongside it.

sugarkandii is offline   Reply With Quote