The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Reply

 

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2018   #1
megadoomed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Nationality:
Posts: 3
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: megadoomed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bare axolotl gills

Hey everyone,

So this is an issue I've been dealing with since I got my axolotl in early June. She's not a rescue, she's from a good breeder who I'm in contact with regarding this as well. She has little to no filaments on her gills, and I've tried everything.

Her tank has 0 ammonia and nitrite.
I've tried tubbing her.
I've tried airstones.
I've taken her to the exotic vet who said there was nothing wrong.
I feed her the recommended diet of Earthworms, which she devours happily.
She's not stressed, not giving signs of stress, anyway.

I'm completely stumped, and nobody seems to have any answers. According to my breeder, both her parents had big fluffy gills, so genetics doesn't have anything to do with it. I really don't know what to think, if I should just let it go and accept it as just a weird fluke thing or if this means something bad. She's still a juvenile, perhaps she's a late bloomer? Everyone else seems as stumped as I am.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.



megadoomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018   #2
NidiaNz
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Nationality:
Posts: 55
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: NidiaNz has started on the right path
Default Re: Bare axolotl gills

Hi, for some reason the photos won't load on my phone, but what are the other parameters such as nitrate, pH and general hardness, what is the temp aswell.



NidiaNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 694
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Bare axolotl gills

I can't open the pics either.
From memory too much oxygen in the water can cause their gills to shrink, do you have a dissolved oxygen test kit? How big is your tank and what is in there that adds oxgyen?



Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018   #4
megadoomed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Nationality:
Posts: 3
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: megadoomed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bare axolotl gills

Sorry, the imgur links are here:

https://imgur.com/a/fgek83r
https://imgur.com/a/eKFWe76
https://imgur.com/a/nLcgwWK

Currently, all that's adding oxygen is a sponge filter. As for the other perimeters, my tap water is a bit high in PH but I was told that wouldn't affect it. Tank is a 20 gallon long.



megadoomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018   #5
NidiaNz
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Nationality:
Posts: 55
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: NidiaNz has started on the right path
Default Re: Bare axolotl gills

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadoomed View Post
Sorry, the imgur links are here:

https://imgur.com/a/fgek83r
https://imgur.com/a/eKFWe76
https://imgur.com/a/nLcgwWK

Currently, all that's adding oxygen is a sponge filter. As for the other perimeters, my tap water is a bit high in PH but I was told that wouldn't affect it. Tank is a 20 gallon long.

The loss of gill filaments is normally almost always water related, what's the nitrates and general hardness and temp.



NidiaNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018   #6
megadoomed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Nationality:
Posts: 3
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: megadoomed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bare axolotl gills

Quote:
Originally Posted by NidiaNz View Post
The loss of gill filaments is normally almost always water related, what's the nitrates and general hardness and temp.
There was no loss, she's never had any.



megadoomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018   #7
Petersgirl
Prolific Member
 
Petersgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 967
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Bare axolotl gills

Some of the babies I had went to a zoo, and the herp there did a little experiment. He changed their water differently and observed the effects - some he changed every day and others he changed less. He noticed that the axolotls whose water was changed every day had much bigger, fluffier gills, which sounds odd because you'd think there'd be more dissolved oxygen in freshly changed water.

For some reason, changing the water more often resulted in larger gills. Is this something you could try? You could change a little - maybe 10 or 20% per day - and see if it helps?

I also have some frondless axxies and I have no idea why some have them and some don't. Some are older and have been with me a while, so it could be age, having to deal with water issues while I was learning how to be a good keeper or genetics. It can be hard to tell with them, especially if they were previously frondy.



__________________
"One head cannot hold all wisdom,' - Masai saying.
Petersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018   #8
tammyaxie
Member
 
tammyaxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 281
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tammyaxie has started on the right path
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersgirl View Post
Some of the babies I had went to a zoo, and the herp there did a little experiment. He changed their water differently and observed the effects - some he changed every day and others he changed less. He noticed that the axolotls whose water was changed every day had much bigger, fluffier gills, which sounds odd because you'd think there'd be more dissolved oxygen in freshly changed water.

For some reason, changing the water more often resulted in larger gills. Is this something you could try? You could change a little - maybe 10 or 20% per day - and see if it helps?

I also have some frondless axxies and I have no idea why some have them and some don't. Some are older and have been with me a while, so it could be age, having to deal with water issues while I was learning how to be a good keeper or genetics. It can be hard to tell with them, especially if they were previously frondy.
I have found that this works. I clean poop from my axie's tank daily now because I have snails. Used to do it every 3 days. This takes out about 10% of her water. Her gills got so fluffy in a matter of 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk



tammyaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gills, question

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axolotl's gills almost entirely bare? KOsika Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) 5 1st April 2018 06:22
Bare bottom 20 long + Copper Axolotl Swag Axolotl Gallery 5 22nd November 2015 01:34
Sand for 3 inch axolotl or bare bottom jojo9380 Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate 2 22nd April 2012 13:18
The new guy - bare with me,there are pics... apryl Axolotl Gallery 21 29th November 2005 10:55
My (very bare) setup eric Axolotl Gallery 5 9th August 2005 05:33


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:01.