The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 8th July 2018   #1
megadoomed

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: megadoomed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bare axolotl gills

Hey everyone,

So this is an issue I've been dealing with since I got my axolotl in early June. She's not a rescue, she's from a good breeder who I'm in contact with regarding this as well. She has little to no filaments on her gills, and I've tried everything.

Her tank has 0 ammonia and nitrite.
I've tried tubbing her.
I've tried airstones.
I've taken her to the exotic vet who said there was nothing wrong.
I feed her the recommended diet of Earthworms, which she devours happily.
She's not stressed, not giving signs of stress, anyway.

I'm completely stumped, and nobody seems to have any answers. According to my breeder, both her parents had big fluffy gills, so genetics doesn't have anything to do with it. I really don't know what to think, if I should just let it go and accept it as just a weird fluke thing or if this means something bad. She's still a juvenile, perhaps she's a late bloomer? Everyone else seems as stumped as I am.

Click the image to open in full size.

megadoomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018   #2
NidiaNz

Nationality:
Rep: NidiaNz has started on the right path
Default Re: Bare axolotl gills

Hi, for some reason the photos won't load on my phone, but what are the other parameters such as nitrate, pH and general hardness, what is the temp aswell.

NidiaNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and information

I can't open the pics either.
From memory too much oxygen in the water can cause their gills to shrink, do you have a dissolved oxygen test kit? How big is your tank and what is in there that adds oxgyen?

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018   #4
megadoomed

Nationality:

Sorry, the imgur links are here:

https://imgur.com/a/fgek83r
https://imgur.com/a/eKFWe76
https://imgur.com/a/nLcgwWK

Currently, all that's adding oxygen is a sponge filter. As for the other perimeters, my tap water is a bit high in PH but I was told that wouldn't affect it. Tank is a 20 gallon long.

Old 9th July 2018   #5
NidiaNz

Nationality:
Rep: NidiaNz has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadoomed View Post
Sorry, the imgur links are here:

https://imgur.com/a/fgek83r
https://imgur.com/a/eKFWe76
https://imgur.com/a/nLcgwWK

Currently, all that's adding oxygen is a sponge filter. As for the other perimeters, my tap water is a bit high in PH but I was told that wouldn't affect it. Tank is a 20 gallon long.

The loss of gill filaments is normally almost always water related, what's the nitrates and general hardness and temp.

NidiaNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018   #6
megadoomed

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NidiaNz View Post
The loss of gill filaments is normally almost always water related, what's the nitrates and general hardness and temp.
There was no loss, she's never had any.

Old 11th July 2018   #7
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information

Some of the babies I had went to a zoo, and the herp there did a little experiment. He changed their water differently and observed the effects - some he changed every day and others he changed less. He noticed that the axolotls whose water was changed every day had much bigger, fluffier gills, which sounds odd because you'd think there'd be more dissolved oxygen in freshly changed water.

For some reason, changing the water more often resulted in larger gills. Is this something you could try? You could change a little - maybe 10 or 20% per day - and see if it helps?

I also have some frondless axxies and I have no idea why some have them and some don't. Some are older and have been with me a while, so it could be age, having to deal with water issues while I was learning how to be a good keeper or genetics. It can be hard to tell with them, especially if they were previously frondy.

Old 12th July 2018   #8
tammyaxie

Nationality:
Rep: tammyaxie has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersgirl View Post
Some of the babies I had went to a zoo, and the herp there did a little experiment. He changed their water differently and observed the effects - some he changed every day and others he changed less. He noticed that the axolotls whose water was changed every day had much bigger, fluffier gills, which sounds odd because you'd think there'd be more dissolved oxygen in freshly changed water.

For some reason, changing the water more often resulted in larger gills. Is this something you could try? You could change a little - maybe 10 or 20% per day - and see if it helps?

I also have some frondless axxies and I have no idea why some have them and some don't. Some are older and have been with me a while, so it could be age, having to deal with water issues while I was learning how to be a good keeper or genetics. It can be hard to tell with them, especially if they were previously frondy.
I have found that this works. I clean poop from my axie's tank daily now because I have snails. Used to do it every 3 days. This takes out about 10% of her water. Her gills got so fluffy in a matter of 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

tammyaxie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gills, question