The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 13th July 2018   #1
Justtiffy

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Justtiffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My new baby Axl

My girls and I just took on the endeavor of caring for a juvenile axis!!! We love him!!! But I have some major concerns about feeding and ammonia levels. Weíve been using frozen blood worms but they go all over!!! I donít know if itís good to vacuum daily but Iím worried about the worms just staying in the tank.... any suggestions?? What else can we feed him?? Also I am hyper focusing on temperature also and I simply canít afford a chiller. I bought a fan ( via internet cause I found NOTHING local) but it came in broken so Iím waiting for a second to come in. Again any ideas?? Thanks for the help in advance!!!!

Justtiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: My new baby Axl

Welcome! First of all make sure you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This way you can monitor the levels and do water changes accordingly. Did you cycle the tank before getting the axolotl?
How big is your axolotl? You may be able to start feeding worms, cut up into bits smaller than his head. It's less messy and really good for them. When I feed bloodworms I always move my axie into a separate container to control the waste. It may be stressful to do this every day, however. I only do it about once a week (he usually eats worms) so he is out while I do a water change. Alternatively you can use an old clean jar (like a pasta or jam jar). You put the cube of worms in (frozen) and as they melt they sink. Lead the axie into the jar and they usually are able to eat them up. To clean you just carefully take the jar out :)

Old 13th July 2018   #3
Justtiffy

Nationality:
Rep: Justtiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help. I did cycle the tank and heís not tiny... heís like 5 inches...I just feel like worms or something larger would be better... I could take the uneaten out easier. And not have to worry so much about ammonia.

Justtiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and information

Absolutely you can move to big worms then! Any of the nightcrawlers are fine, whatever is easier for you to get :)

Old 15th July 2018   #5
Cindwa

Nationality:
Rep: Cindwa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayleyy View Post
Welcome! First of all make sure you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This way you can monitor the levels and do water changes accordingly. Did you cycle the tank before getting the axolotl?
How big is your axolotl? You may be able to start feeding worms, cut up into bits smaller than his head. It's less messy and really good for them. When I feed bloodworms I always move my axie into a separate container to control the waste. It may be stressful to do this every day, however. I only do it about once a week (he usually eats worms) so he is out while I do a water change. Alternatively you can use an old clean jar (like a pasta or jam jar). You put the cube of worms in (frozen) and as they melt they sink. Lead the axie into the jar and they usually are able to eat them up. To clean you just carefully take the jar out :)
Wonderful advice. My axies are about 5 inches as well and I am about to make a change from bloodworms to earthworms. One of my axies has a more narrow mouth and would not have been able to manage larger worms until very recently. The bloodworms sure can be a bit messy!

Cindwa is offline   Reply With Quote