The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 11th March 2005   #1
vensy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My mom just bought me a Red Spotted Eastern Newt today and I noticed it seemed to have a "bump" on its back. First I just kind of shrugged it off, thinking it might just be the way he is or that he ate or something else that could be normal. However, once I put him inside my tank and he got onto my rock island I realized the bump looked somewhat white-ish with a red center. Basically it looked like a cut, just like something might have bit or poked it with something sharp. This wound is directly on his back between his two shoulders. I took two photographs with my digital camera, but I need to find my card reader. Once I do I will post the images here, but I'm really worried about him. Should I buy some medicine? Should I seperate him from the tank? Should I return him to the shop or just do nothing about it?

I'd appreciate any help.

Also, another thing: I noticed there's a darker yellow spot on his belly. Does anyone know what this means?

(Message edited by vensy on March 11, 2005)

Old 11th March 2005   #2
vensy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The red seems to be blood.. Once he moved it disappeared. So I assume he's bleeding..

Old 11th March 2005   #3
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

photos are pretty much necessary unless you can find one similar to it on line -it does sound bad so a photo would help us help you

Old 11th March 2005   #4
vensy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Click the image to open in full size.

It's a bit blurry, but you can see the white thing there.. And I think the red I realized earlier is actually blood because it was increasing and when he moved most of the red disappeared.

Do you think I should just return him and buy a new one?

Old 11th March 2005   #5
jeff

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It looks like a skin lesion to me. If you want to keep him (I doubt the pet store will take the time to treat him), I would quarantine the little guy and use an antiseptic such as Bactine to treat his wound until it heals over.

Old 11th March 2005   #6
vensy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Welp, scratch that. We returned him. We exchanged him for a healthier one and by jolly he's already so hyper around my tank. But we instead bought two now, so he has a tank mate. I'm sure I have one female, but I can't tell whether the other one's a male or female.

Old 14th March 2005   #7
devon

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Click the image to open in full size.

I don't think you should have just returned him to the petstore...it probably wouldn't have been very difficult to treat, if you took the time, and I highly doubt that the pet store is going to take that time. He's probably just going to get an infection and die now...

Tags
eastern, newt, red, spotted

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 8 (Set)

Autumncrossing, eFaN, emmy1500, geron, JOJO G, Lertsch, Lostfrog, tbarrera