The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 11th January 2020   #1
DaisyFlower

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DaisyFlower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please HELP! Fungal infection!!!

Heya everyone!

Iíve had my two axies since the 25th of December.

Today, I noticed my wild type, Molly, has fungus on her gill, and two small spots on her side.
Itís not super bad, but can someone tell me ASAP (or send a link) how to treat this?
Also, do I need to take my other axolotl out of the tank???

Thanks,
Daisy

DaisyFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
hunterwho
(hunterwho)

Nationality:
Rep: hunterwho has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Please HELP! Fungal infection!!!

It's probably a good idea to quarantine your 'lotls until Molly recovers; even if the fungus doesn't spread, it's helpful to isolate her so she can remain calm and get the treatment she needs. http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm has some good resources on how to treat sick or injured axolotls.

hunterwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Kitan

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 1
Rep: Kitan has given good advice and informationKitan has given good advice and information

What you are looking for is a salt bath, which will kill off the fungus. I would also set up a seperate container that you can keep Molly in until the fungus has cleared up. This container doesnt need to be huge, enough room for her to move in comfortably and you need to do 100% daily water changes with water that has been dechlorinated and is the same temperature. Hopefully this will prevent your other one from getting it. Might be a good idea to get some Indian almonds leaves for the main tank.

You just need to be aware that fungus is a secondary issue of an underlying problem in the tank; something is stressing out your axolotls and causing the immune system to be suppressed enough that the fungus could take hold. Temperature is a HUGE culperate here, though your water parameters or even water flow can also cause stress. Until you solve that issue, you cant prevent this from happening again.

How to Salt Baths

Put dechlorinated water in the container (tapwater treated with water ager/conditioner/dechlorinator drops to remove chlorine and chloramines).

Add 2-3 teaspoons of salt per one litre (or two pints) of the dechlorinated water.

Give it a stir (or if the aquarium salts are chunky, crush them) until salt dissolves.

Remove your axie from the tank, place in the saltbath and cover with lid (so it doesn't jump out.

Leave your axie in the saltbath for 10-15 minutes maximum, no longer. Salt baths are very stressful for your axolotl and, with their permeable skin, more than 15 minutes can be harmful if not deadly.)

Saltbath your axie twice a day until at least a week after the fungus drops off.

Empty the saltbath water and clean the container using baking soda and water.

Kitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
DaisyFlower

Nationality:
Rep: DaisyFlower is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your help! It was super useful 😍

Molly is now free of the fungus, and doing great! My other axis, Mango, is showing no signs of having an infection so Iím not super worried.
Thanks again for the replies! 💓💓💓

DaisyFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Kitan

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 1
Rep: Kitan has given good advice and informationKitan has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyFlower View Post
Thanks everyone for your help! It was super useful 😍

Molly is now free of the fungus, and doing great! My other axis, Mango, is showing no signs of having an infection so Iím not super worried.
Thanks again for the replies! 💓💓💓
YAY! Congratulations and I am happy to hear Molly and Mango are doing well! :)

Kitan is offline   Reply With Quote