The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 24th November 2009   #1
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Sexual Dimorphism in Paramesotriton

I hope I used that term correctly...
I was looking at my warty newts today and admiring their breeding dress differences.
I thought I'd take some pictures, because I find them to be really stunning animals, in their own way. I love their greenish colors. They really remind me of alligators.
Anyway, this post contains pictures of the female. The next post contains pictures of the male.
Notice how the female has a red stripe all the way down the bottom of her tail (unlike the male's).
Notice the shape of her cloaca vs. the male's. And the little round ET bulbs at the end of each of her toes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	femalewarty (4)sm.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	8537   Click image for larger version

Name:	femalewartytail.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	8538   Click image for larger version

Name:	femalewarty (1)cloacasm.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	8539   Click image for larger version

Name:	femalewarty (2)sm.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	8540   Click image for larger version

Name:	femalewarty (3)sm.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	8541  

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Sexual Dimorphism in Paramesotriton

Here is the male. First a picture of their tank. This pair lives in this 15 gallon tank. I have been lucky to have only two and they happen to be male and female (this also happened with my Tylos, and my Pachytritons also. LUCK!)
Notice how his cloaca is much more rounded and larger (hers is more pointy).
Notice the way his tail is so much more rippled, with that amazing bluish stripe along the side!
That tail looks like a beaver's, like he could slap you around with it! Has anyone ever had these breed in captivity?
One note: while it looks like they are walking on a rug, they are actually in a moist clear glass dish which is on the rug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tanksm.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	8542   Click image for larger version

Name:	malewarty (2)sm.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	8543   Click image for larger version

Name:	malewarty (3)sm.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	8544   Click image for larger version

Name:	malewarty (1)sm.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	8545   Click image for larger version

Name:	malewarty (4)sm.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	8546  

Name:	malewartysm.JPG
Views:	773
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	8547  

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog

Last edited by Otterwoman; 24th November 2009 at 21:38. Reason: smoother wording
Old 24th November 2009   #3
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Audrey has bred P. chinensis and P. hongkongensis. Your newts are gorgeous, by the way.

Old 24th November 2009   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

I never did name this pair...I just decided to name them "Beauty" and "The Beast."

Old 24th November 2009   #5
cichlidjedi
(cichlidjedi)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cichlidjedi has shown reliable knowledge

Otterwoman your post got me in the mood to snap some pictures of my remaining two chinensis males from a group of 8 wild caught-pet shop purchased animals I bought over a year ago. I have had these two males by themselves for about 4 months since my other animals have passed on due to unknown causes. One animal has breeding tail tail stripe and the other does not. Now both my males also have a red streak that runs down underside of thier tails. I was hoping someone might have extra female adult animals I could mix with these two animals. As far as the two nubs my males do not have these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	8551   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	8552   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	8553   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	8554   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010012.jpg
Views:	2400
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	8555  

cichlidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009   #6
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Congratulations Dawn for your pair the look like big, well treated and healthy animals! Very nice male!

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009   #7
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

Those are cool. Thanks for sharing them! Is the one as black as it looks in the pictures? Mine are very green looking. I wish I had an extra female to send, but I just have the two, and am amazed they happen to be a pair. But the one in picture two looks like it has the toe nubs just like my female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljorgo View Post
Congratulations Dawn for your pair they look like big, well treated and healthy animals! Very nice male!
Thanks, I'm very pleased with them. I hope they produce!! How fun would that be!

That female has a big belly. I'm sure she's egg-nant.

Old 25th November 2009   #8
cichlidjedi
(cichlidjedi)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: cichlidjedi has shown reliable knowledge

Yeah my one male is very black. I so hope you are able to get your pair to breed. Before I was an active caudata form reader I bought both of my hongkongensis and chinensis groups from pet retailers and I had a lot of loses. I have not seen post's of anyone selling Paramesotriton very often and I hope more members have captive breed animals to provide to other members. The chinensis I'm down to two males and my hongkong's I have two males and two females left. I discected my hongkong's to see if it was parasites or something internal, but nothing looked abnormal. The animals that died did seem to look like they were covered in a white type of film over thier bodies. Looked like salt specks covered in a white slime. Anyway my other animals seem to be imune to whatever killed thier tank mates. Anyway Otterwoman what a cool post and what an awesome pair of animals you own. Maybe playing a little Barry White might spark them to get into the MOOD

cichlidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009   #9
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

I haven't been in the hobby all that long, and even I have noticed how they were more common and now they are not. So even though at the time I bought them (maybe a year ago or so) I didn't really have room for a new tank, I had to snap them up and hope that I would find a spot in time (which, of course, I did).
I have a pair of paddletails which are also male and female, which do a lot of courting, but no eggs (yet?). So I can just be patient and if they do, great, and if not, well, at least they are enjoying life.
Thanks for the compliments on the animals. I was just struck by their differences and thought a thread of pictures would be educational.

Old 25th November 2009   #10
monique

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: monique is an unknown quantity at this point

I bred Paramesotriton Hongkongensis, i still have 29 juveniles and they are doing well. They are now 11 months and eating lots of tubifex. Most of the juveniles are darkbrown some are light brown.

monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009   #11
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

That's great, did you do anything special to get them to breed?

Old 26th November 2009   #12
monique

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: monique is an unknown quantity at this point

I was taking care of the adult ones for a friend of my. He was on holiday for 5 months. Maybe it was the refreshing of the water in the tank? The female became fatty and restless. She laid the egs between the long leaves of vallisneria.

monique is offline   Reply With Quote