The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 17th December 2009   #1
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Paramesotriton that looks like what?

This came to me as Paramesotriton Undescribed species.
If they make you remind some species or individuals that you had please tell me about.
Also something about the breeding of these would be wonderful!
Since they with some more fat, and some cold water change might trigger to breed since they are a more than adult couple.

Thanks

Click the image to open in full size.

MALE

FEMALE

Some extra photos are in my profile.

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009   #2
cichlidjedi
(cichlidjedi)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: cichlidjedi has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Paramesotriton that looks like what?

WOW those look like Paramesotriton deloustali based on the belly pattern! I have a group of three and they sure look a lot like what you pictured. There are Paramesotriton guanxiensis that are mistaken for deloustali, but from what I have read it depends on were they were collected and also the guanxiensis are smaller as well. You should send a PM to member paul_b , he has breed both deloustali and laoensis. I don't believe you mentioned if these were breed in captivity or wild caught? Try getting a hold of Paul and try and get better shots of thier underside to view thier cloca's to determine male and female. Awesome Warty's either way a wonderful SCORE for you :) Nice critters!

cichlidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009   #3
Kenny
(KennyDB)

Nationality:
Rep: KennyDB has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidjedi View Post
WOW those look like Paramesotriton deloustali based on the belly pattern! I have a group of three and they sure look a lot like what you pictured.
Bellypattern is not a good way to determine what species it is as bellypaterns are verry variable and change with age.

KennyDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009   #4
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Hey thanks for all.
No need to say if its male or female. Their are really a sexed pair. No needs to know about it. I was told they were Deloustali but they are only 17 and 18cm not 20+cm
These were caught in Guanxi or something I guess.

Old 17th December 2009   #5
Janusz Wierzbicki
(Yahilles)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

20+ are among biggest specimens, i think most deloustali are smaller than 20 cm.

Old 17th December 2009   #6
Lusiwarrior

Nationality:
Rep: Lusiwarrior has given good advice and informationLusiwarrior has given good advice and information

Hi mate,
I stand by my opinion, subspecies of guanxiensis! Or perhaps, as has been said to be a mixture of species! But what is not is strange, because they came from China and Deloustali are of Vietename!
They are great animals, congratulations!
cheers

Lusiwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009   #7
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:

I got a question. I just have put the paramesotriton in one big aquarium (1,20m) witch contain very much colder water than the the set-up they were last days. I find the male with many many tuft on his cloaca. And when looking to female cloaca she got a white filament attached to it? So this means precisely what?

Thanks for the clearance. I just own my first Paramesotriton at 3days.

Old 19th December 2009   #8
Lusiwarrior

Nationality:
Rep: Lusiwarrior has given good advice and informationLusiwarrior has given good advice and information

At first glance what do you think happened? While you will be an uncle rather than what you thought! However there may be another explanation!
Congratulations again for these beautiful animals!

Lusiwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009   #9
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: paul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default AW: Re: Paramesotriton that looks like what?

Hi all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidjedi View Post
WOW those look like [I]
You should send a PM to member paul_b , he has breed both deloustali and laoensis.
I only bred laoensis not deloustali!
From deloustali I got eggs from a Spanish friend three years ago - now they are adult/semiadult.
The breeding Information about laoensis you find here:
AG Urodela

A film about them here:
http://www.salamanderseiten.de/param...n_laoensis.wmv

Paul

paul_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009   #10
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: paul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default AW: Re: Paramesotriton that looks like what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljorgo View Post
...These were caught in Guanxi or something I guess.
Their origin is the key to what spezies they are!
Iff they come from Guangxi it should be Paramesotriton guangxiensis, and I think they look like this!
Look here:
Cynopsseiten

Paul

paul_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009   #11
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:

Hello Thanks Paul. Honestly they don't look much like Deloustali or Guanxiensis. They were caught in the frontier between China and Vietman. I guess they are kind of a Hybrid or a new species?

Old 22nd December 2009   #12
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:

Hum.... Interesting ****... But looking at Paul_b Deulostali i can say they are much different... Not so red... But the body is similar. In relation with Guangxiensis the body is much smaller and thin but the colouration is the same.... What a dilemma...

thanks for all your help

Old 22nd December 2009   #13
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Since red coloration is dependent on diet, i would never take it as a differential characteristic.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009   #14
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:

hum... Yh you´re right. Even so they look a bit different from those that Yago breed and passed to Paul. Marcations are very different, but even so that helped me. I am now more convinced about Deloustali in-spite the fact they were caught in Guangxi?

Old 24th December 2009   #15
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:

All right ****. I would be grate-full if you posted some pics of your animals because I really wanted to know witch specie I am dealing with. Yesterday I had a conversation with someone from Germany who told me those might be Guangxiensis.So, some pictures of yours would be nice... If I made it to breed them, I am going to send one larvae to a friend in Germany to make a D.N.A. test.
I also believe, when I look at them that the male seems Deloustali and the female Guangxiensis... Maybe the distribution of these two species is so closed that different species may coexist in the same environment...
cheers