The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 30th March 2010   #1
maelstrom
(maelstrom)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing color?

I got 3 paramesotriton hongkongensis about a year ago and when i got them they were all so dark they were almost black. Now yesterday when i went to feed them one is now so light brown with a orange tint to it and lots of black dots. Im no expert so is this normal? the other two still are the same as when i got them. Also two days ago the changed one was the same as the others. Can color change happen over two days?

maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010   #2
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Changing color?

Some color changes can happen surprisingly fast. IŽd say, try to post a picture.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010   #3
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I've certainly heard of this type of color change in Cynops newts. I suspect it is also within the range of normalcy for Paramesotriton newts.

Old 31st March 2010   #4
Frank Rendon
(Bowl of seeds)

Nationality:
Rep: Bowl of seeds has given good advice and informationBowl of seeds has given good advice and informationBowl of seeds has given good advice and information

I've experienced this in both Pachytriton labiatus and brevipes.
I have no idea why but it seems to bother them none.

Bowl of seeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010   #5
maelstrom
(maelstrom)

Nationality:
Rep: maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point

i would post pics but my camera is broken and im too poor to get a new one lol

maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010   #6
monique

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: monique is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I think it is common for paramesotriton hongkongensis to change colour. I have juveniles and they are changing colour sometimes. Darkbrown or light brown-orange. I don't know if it's common for the adults, I don't have them.