The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 22nd September 2009   #1
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ntny has shown reliable knowledgentny has shown reliable knowledge
Default P.chinesis have different taste and prey?

Hi folks,

i have got 3 P.chinesis.

the big black male will eat earthworms and bloodworms...everything.
the other brownish big female only eats earthworms, she don't give bloodworms a second look.
the slightly smaller female only eats blood worms, she seems scare of bigger worms.

is this strange or normal?

thanks

ntny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009   #2
Janusz Wierzbicki
(Yahilles)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: P.chinesis have different taste and prey?

I guess that last behavior is normal, as newt "feels" that earthworm is too strong to her to swallow (some newts are so agressive to attack bigger prey than they can eat and some fear them), after overwintering my orientalis in 2008, my newts were escaping from live bloodworms and it haven't looked like they don't wanna eat.
Other examples: i would say that most food tolerance in male is probably caused by agression (if i remember, your male is in breeding condition now?) and bigger female "thinks" that bloodworms are too small and not enough for her so she eats only bigger prey that will give her more energy to produce eggs.

Old 22nd September 2009   #3
Foster Reves
(freves)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

In my experience with a variety of Asian species, including P. chinensis, I have found that it is not unusual for individuals to demonstate a fondness for certain food items. Conversly I have also noticed that some individuals refuse certain food items as well. Are you feeding your animals on land or in the water? I have one P. chinensis male that will refuse some food items when he is out of the water but eagerly accept the same item when submerged. I suspect that has something to do with the scent but that is only speculation on my part. Also, try offering as much variety as possible. I feed most of the Asian species that I keep a rotating diet of pre-killed feeder insects, sections of fresh seafood (mostly shrimp), earthworms, pre-soaked pellet food, and anything else that I can throw in for variety. If a prey item is too large then it certainly could be refused, try cutting the worm into smaller sections.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009   #4
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: ntny has shown reliable knowledgentny has shown reliable knowledge

hi folks,

thanks for info.
good to know it's a normal newts behaviour.

cheers!

ntny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pchinesis, prey, taste